Tuesday 12 January 2021

"Should they have "blocked" him?"

Inevitably I was asked that question yesterday. Should the social media giants have "blocked" the President of the United States?

My answer to that was, "They are private companies. They can if they want to."

"But what about free speech?"

Free speech? It isn't an issue for private companies. I don't think the person who accosted me wanted to hear that. 

There is an issue here however. Not so long ago one, and perhaps more, of those same companies refused to take down an image they knew was false, one which did immense harm to the relationship between Downunder and China. It continues to do harm. China has acknowledged it is not true but it has not been removed or blocked. The financial fall continues. Despite complaints all that has been said is "we don't censor things like that". No? Really? 

Recently I alerted another social media site to a scam. They took me seriously enough, or so they said, to look at  the advertised site. No, it isn't a scam I was told. They have left it there. That doesn't stop it being a scam. A little research on their part would have found I am right. I did the research. I went as far as checking the registration of the company - except that it isn't registered at all and there have been numerous complaints about it.  The more likely problem is that the advertising revenue and not upsetting the CCP is more important to the social media site. Was I surprised? Not really. I continue to put "SCAM" in their comments whenever I saw a new advertisement by the same group of scammers - and others are doing the same.

The harm done by not blocking and removing such advertising is also harmful. But....it is not politics. 

. Someone I know had a well known Rubens picture removed for "nudity". She was issued with a warning. We were all somewhat bemused by this... and decided there is no rhyme or reason to the censorship on the internet.  

And then there are the occasions on which "violent", "racist", and "hate" speech is removed. Good? Yes, perhaps it would be if social media was consistent about this. Unfortunately it isn't. It can't be consistent.

The reality is that social media is out of control. Those who own social media sites - and I suppose this has to be called one - can have armies of people working to try and control what is sent out but it is an impossible task. 

And the really determined will always find another way to harass the rest of us.  

No comments: