Tuesday 26 January 2021

National holidays

are acknowledged for all sorts of reasons. It is Downunder's "national" day today. Most people take the opportunity to have the day away from work. They often take the opportunity to relax with friends. Christmas has been for family. New Year is a mix between the two. Others use it as a day of "protest". 

Those protesting it as "invasion" day will get a great deal of media coverage but they are far from being in the majority. According to the research done by organisations like Morgan-Gallup or Ipsos they would lose a referendum on the issue. (We have lost far more referenda than we have approved over the years.) Divisions on this issue run deep.  Ipsos found that only 28% of people would support a change of date. It is possibly even lower than that as it is the sort of issue where people will say they support something when asked. They do this because it is the "politically correct" answer, not because it is what they really believe or support. 

My own feeling is that it would perhaps be wise to not have any sort of national holiday. Whenever we "celebrate" such a thing some people are going to object. It will be used in an attempt to stir up "nationalist" feelings. I have never felt very strongly about being a Downunderite - and the feeling has only lessened over the years. As a kitten at school I never felt comfortable about "saluting the flag" and saying "I love my country". I'd squirm if I was expected to do that now. Yes, I know this is not "normal".

Out of curiosity I looked to see if there were any other countries celebrating their "national days" today. I thought it was unlikely. If there was one I  was unaware of it. And no, it seems there isn't. There isn't one tomorrow either but it is International Holocaust Remembrance Day (the 27th). That seems worthy of some quiet reflection on my part. 

Today I will just get on with things that need to be done instead.

 

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I have no problem with saying "I love my country" - I do. But this is nothing to do with society, government, and political things. It is the shape and colour and smell of the land, and the way it meets the sea. It is the good things that grow in it, and the good people who live their quiet lives with neighbours. It is us, the little people, who can be governed so far, but not too far.
If I had to be transplanted, I hope it would be to another country that I could learn to love. But nothing could change my love for the country that was all around me from the day I was born.

catdownunder said...

I wonder what you would make of Downunder. A lot of it is a harsh and unforgiving landscape - with some extraordinary people in it! It's interesting but not very comfortable.