Thursday 12 August 2021

Getting vaccinated

is still not being taken seriously by many. 

After a discussion with a member of the medical profession I am in the fortunate position of having been able to bring forward my second Covid19 jab by five days. That means it will be twelve weeks and a day after the first one.

I want to have it. I would have it tomorrow if I could. This virus frightens me. 

The Senior Cat has had both jabs. Middle Cat, her husband and my nephew who lives here have all had their first jabs. My nephew who lives in one of the neighbouring states was offered an opportunity to have the Astra-Zeneca jab even though he is well under the recommended age of 60. He took it and is now fully vaccinated - something of a relief in a state which is in the throes of a ninth "lock down". 

My other family in yet another state are either fully or partially vaccinated. None of them want to take the risks associated with not being vaccinated. 

There is a good family friend who comes to help me two hours once a fortnight. He does all the heavy jobs I cannot manage in the garden. We pay him of course but I am still immensely grateful for the help he gives. I also listen and sympathise when he tells me that his daughter is an "anti-vaxxer". She lives in the United States and is apparently happy to rely on everyone around her being vaccinated - even though she has young twins. It worries him and it worries his wife. It worries me too because I hate seeing them so worried.  

I know there have been issues with availability here. My second jab was only able to be brought back because availability has increased somewhat. I can now get it at our medical clinic. I can get it because I will have to mix with people I do not usually mix with in the week following that. Yes, I will wear a mask. I will use hand sanitiser. I will take white cotton gloves with me too - just in case. I am going to be "sensible" but I know there is still a mild risk. I am looking at it like any other activity and trying to balance the risk with the activity.  

I also know I can take action to minimise the risks involved - and I am doing it not just for me but for everyone around me.  

1 comment:

Hilde said...

We have gone from not enough vaccine to too much of it in a few months. I was so happy when my GP could give me a vaccination back in May. Now our county (?) has given back about a million doses of the vaccine which is now donated to countries which need it. Vaccinations are now offered in shopping centers and pedestrian zones without appointment. About 50% of our population have had their jabs, the numbers of the infected are rising again, but the anti-vaccers talk about their "freedom". I am so glad that all members of our family are fully vaccinated, except the children.