Friday 25 March 2022

"Ash Barty is too young to retire!"

I was waiting to collect some mail at the Post Office when the furious exchange broke out in the queue in front of me. It was a long queue and very slow moving. There were multiple reasons for this and the argument was not helping.

I didn't know those involved but opinions varied. Ash Barty, "number one" tennis player, was too young, selfish, rich enough, smug, "seems very nice", "has earned it", "give her a go" and more.

Mmm...for once nobody asked my opinion - which was probably just as well. I do have some thoughts on the subject. 

Now let me admit right from the start. I do not know how to play tennis. I know you have to hit a ball over a net with a thing called a racquet.  I know that the origins of the modern game are thought to somewhere far back in France in the 11th or 12th century. That is about the limit of my knowledge.  I have no particular desire to know more than that. 

What I do know, simply from observation, is that to get to the standard that Ash Barty reached you have to work very hard, damn hard. You need to spend hours and hours and then more hours working at it. Yes, there is natural ability involved - if there wasn't then everyone would reach that standard with the same amount of work. The big thing though is that you really do need to work at it. 

What is more it is a lonely sort of occupation. It might not seem like that. It is often referred to as "the social game"  - social perhaps for people who like to get out and hit a ball at weekends. Imagine though spending hours and hours hitting a ball as a machine sends balls at you. Imagine being one end of a court with your coach at the other constantly telling you how to do better. Imagine being young and wanting to go out with friends but having to practice, having to "get an early night", having to travel away from home but not see the sights because you are hitting a ball over a net.

I still believe that some "professional" sports people are paid obscene amounts for "winning" and for "sponsorship". Yes, they may be good but how many others have been involved in helping them get that far?

But I do support Ash Barty's decision to retire. I hope she will be able to remain retired, that she will not be put under endless pressure to return. She tried once before but this time she seems more determined. She has reached the Everest peak of tennis. There is nothing left to achieve or prove there. There are things to be achieved elsewhere. Already she has, as I thought she might, suggested that it is time for her to help other young players achieve their aim of playing tennis. It doesn't matter if there are no "number ones" among them. I think she knows that. 

So, could we leave her to get on with her life in her own way? Could we let her do something that makes her feel she is contributing something?   

No comments: