Saturday 5 March 2022

"Look at (the Russian's) hands"

I tell him.

Waiting around for the results of the compulsory "RAT" (rapid antigen test) is part of life.  I accept having to do them in order to visit the Senior Cat and other older people in various residences. It's an irritating but essential part of life at present. 

What is not essential is being lectured by a complete stranger - also waiting for the results of the test - about how our "biased" news media is not giving any "support for the Russian side". He wanted "more support for the Russian side". They were "not the aggressors". No, he didn't much like the President but "he's not nearly as bad as people make out".

I had actually not said anything to this man. He was one of those people in whose presence I did not feel comfortable. I am sure you know the sort of thing I mean. There was just that "something" about him. We had nodded to one another and to the other person present. I had helped the other person do her test. We have met before. 

She is a  quiet woman whose husband has dementia. She comes to see him each day. Sometimes he knows her and sometimes he doesn't.  It is very difficult for her. We usually just smile and exchange a few words but yesterday she moved closer to me as the tirade continued.

Strictly you should wait twelve minutes minimum and fifteen maximum for the results of this RAT. Each minute felt like an hour as he ranted on. The staff member who had come to help him (I can do my own and so can the other woman) escaped telling me, "If he's clear to come in tell C.... will you?"

He didn't like that either. Too bad. He reverted to ranting on. I sent the quiet woman in to the safety of the building. Then I turned to him and I said, "Just leave it will you? Next time you are watching the news you think is so biased remember that the reporters are in there risking their lives to get the news, any news, out to you." No, he didn't like that. I knew he wouldn't. He started again but I overrode him saying, "And when the camera is trained on Russia's representative at the UN watch his hands. He is constantly fiddling. He's nervous. He is trying to defend the indefensible and he knows the world is watching. Your RAT test is negative but you are a rat if you believe that Russia's actions can be "totally justified" - your words, not mine." 

Watch their representative (Vasily Nebenzya). He avoids looking at the camera and, more than once, I have seen him playing with what looks like a (computer) mouse when he speaks. Perhaps I am wrong but he doesn't look comfortable.   

No comments: