Thursday 24 March 2022

Tomato soup

is something people tend to love or hate. Is that true? It may be.

I visit the Senior Cat at least each second day, more often if I can. Now he spends most of his time lying there with his eyes closed. Sometimes he is not "with us" and at others he is. He's moving to some other place. It's a bumpy, uncomfortable journey and it makes me weep - often.

Yesterday he was lucid and even managed to ask a couple of questions. He also told me something - at least he said two words "tomato soup". They made no sense to me at the time but then he told me he had "thoroughly enjoyed it" and to ask Middle Cat about it. 

She was in there around lunch time the day before. Now the Senior Cat has not had any appetite for weeks. He tries to eat to please other people. But Middle Cat tried again. Was there anything he would like to have? And suddenly there was an answer, "Tomato soup."

He has always been fond  of tomato soup. If for any reason we were out and I had not prepared anything (something which was very rare but did happen once in a while) I would ask him what he would like. The answer was always "tomato soup and scrambled egg". I used to wonder why I actually asked because he never deviated from that. I use to keep a tin of tomato soup on hand for that purpose. It isn't something I felt inclined to make even though I have no time for any other type of tinned soup. I suppose that is part of what made it special in his mind.

Middle Cat is much more adventurous than me. She went off to the kitchen in the residence and looked hopefully at the cook. Would he by any chance at all happen to have a tin of tomato soup around the place? If not if she went and bought one would he heat some up for the Senior Cat?"

Now there is no reason at all why the cook should have agreed to such a request. He's a busy man. There is a menu in the place. The residents have am either or choice. They are asked the day before and I suspect that is that for the most part. Some food gets pureed but residents don't have any special requests granted in the normal way.

But tomato soup? Yes,there was a small tin there in the pantry and yes "I reckon we can manage that". 

And he did. The cook brought it in himself. The Senior Cat smiled and thanked the cook. He drank a whole cup - more than he has had for lunch in days now. Middle Cat thanked him again on her way out. His response?

"I did it because he always thanks us for everything."

2 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Such tiny things make so much difference. What a nice man that chef must be.

PCWith said...

....and what a nice, polite man your father is!