Saturday 10 September 2022

A time to mourn and not a time

to make demands. Even if the demands were supported by a majority - and they are not according to the most recent polls - this was no time to make demands that "now" is the time for this country to "become a republic". 

There was a knock at the front door yesterday and then the Whirlwind's closest friend burst in flung herself on me and started to cry.  I had not seen her for quite a while. I knew she was struggling. Her mother told me that. She had even admitted it herself. 

That was a good thing. She has been staying close to home and not mixing too much at school. Her schoolwork has remained up to her usual standard but it has been a struggle for her. We all know she is missing her friend as much as we do, perhaps even more. It was a particularly close friendship, one of those which was likely to endure a lifetime. 

And yesterday was too much for her. There was an assembly at school and of course the girls were informed of the death of the Queen.  Some of the girls have parents who had met the Queen or other members of Her Majesty's family. A....'s parents are in that category and she has been brought up to honour and respect the monarchy.  When wretched social media began to filter through with some particularly vicious comments from people for whom I and many others have no respect there was apparently a good deal of concern at school. A...'s form teacher did her best to deflect all this and point out how inappropriate it was but A... was very upset.

"I feel so sorry for them. It's their mother and their granny and it is like those people don't even care!" she sobbed on my shoulder. It left me in tears too. "It doesn't matter who it is and even if they don't like them they should feel sorry for them because of that," she told me.

And that is greater wisdom and compassion than the likes of the leader of the so-called "Republican Movement" or the leader of "the Greens" or several politicians who are supposed to represent others have shown.  It is the way I admire A... for reacting. I also think it was a good thing. When she had calmed down somewhat we talked for a bit - the first real talk we have had in a long time. I suggested she phone her mother to say where she was because she was going to be a bit late getting home.

"It's me. I just had to talk to Cat but I'm okay now. I'll tell you when I get there."

I am thankful I was home. I might not have been. Those who used the moment to push their own agenda, often a bitter and grasping agenda that does not relate to reality,  could listen to A... and learn from her.  It reminded me yet again that there is hope for the upcoming generation - perhaps quite a lot of hope. 

No comments: