Saturday 3 September 2022

The Show starts today!

One of my small neighbours has just reminded me of this...and then "that means one more sleep before we go!"

I assume that means his family is going to our state's "Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society" Show tomorrow. It has been three years since the  last one and he cannot really remember it apart from being permitted to pat one of the animals.

I was at the showground yesterday. It was a very busy place. As I had to both deliver and collect I was feeling a bit concerned. Normally I can pedal right in to the centre of the grounds. This is where the main office is situated. On most occasions there is simply a gate open at either end. People with cars can park in one of the car parks and access the office easily.

"It will be okay Cat," I was told, "Just tell them what you are doing."

So, I pedalled up to where I needed to go in and no, it was not "okay". 

"You can go and try the other one but they won't let you in either," the rather sour-faced security man told me.

Middle Cat and I had come across him before. He is one of those "difficult" people who likes applying rules he has made up for himself as well as those that actually apply. I didn't bother to argue with him but went off to the other gate. If they would not give me access then I'd call the Office and either get them to come to me or ask them to say I was to be given access.

But, no problem at all. "Of course, just go carefully."

And oh was I careful! There were not just people everywhere but vans and lorries and cars and electric carts, a tractor and then a very large and slow moving piece of equipment being put into place. I kept well to the side and watched backwards and forwards and sideways.

The Office was very busy too. Phones were ringing and people were moving things in and out. I was concerned that I should need to be there at all. They were all so busy but someone gave me a wave and said, "I'll tell her you are here."

I was out again in less than five minutes and making my way back out the gates. The two security men asked me, "All fixed?" I told them "Yes, thank you!" and they sent me on my way with another, "Be careful now!"

I left behind all the buzz of the set up, all the concern of getting things done on time. I will be in and out in the coming week and it will be interesting but it won't be quite the same as the buzz of the set up.  It is good when people work together like that. 

No comments: