Wednesday 26 August 2009

I do not wear pink suede shoes.

Nicola Morgan wears pink suede shoes and purple suede boots - and some turquoise shoes too. She told me about those.
It takes confidence to wear pink suede shoes - or perhaps they give you confidence. I do not know. I am never going to find out. I do not wear pink at all. It is not a colour I feel comfortable in.
Reading Nicola's blog, especially about things like 'perfect covering letters', was the same. There were times when I wanted to stop reading. If this, I thought, was what you have to go through in order to get a book published then it is not for me. I could not write that sort of letter about myself or about anything I had written. I cannot sell myself like that. It would not sound sincere.
Writing is a solitary activity because, when you write, the world has to belong to you. You have to be able to be anything you choose to be. There are no limits to writing unless there are limits to your imagination. There should be no limits to a writer's imagination. The only limits should be a knowledge of where to stop for the sake of the reader.
When you have done the best you can with the words then you can and must move on. You can observe the pink suede shoes but you do not have to wear them.
I do not lust after the pink suede shoes. I would like the confidence to wear the equivalent.

2 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

Underneath those shoes - pink or otherwise - are a pair of feet just as firmly on the ground as yours and mine! Everyone looks the same in their birthday suit!

Ignorance is bliss, by the way, you do not have to set yourself up for suffering!

catdownunder said...

They are probably stuck a good deal firmly than mine!
I am however reminded of having to meet a very, very VIP and someone told me "Just think of him sitting in his bath playing with a rubber duck."
That pulls everyone down to size!
Off to put pizza in the oven and remain in blissful ignorance of the calories!