Tuesday 14 May 2019

"It's all because of people like you"

I was told after yesterday's blog post.
And no, he wasn't being nice. He was angry. He had come across my blog via someone who works for one of the local politicians. (She reads it and occasionally passes it on to her boss.) This man's role, as he sees it, is to make life as difficult as possible for both of them. The girl in the MP's office had told him to read what I had to say and he didn't like it.
That doesn't surprise me. He is perhaps what any reasonable person would call "one-eyed". He can only see one side of any story. His mind is made up before he is in full possession of the facts. Try telling him anything or adding anything to his knowledge after he has made his mind up and you are wrong. 
He has been campaigning for the far left. Even a friend of mine who belongs to the Greens party says of him, "He's a bit extreme."
That is an understatement.
The only time he has ever approved of me is the first time I met him. He approved of the fact that I was pedalling rather than driving a car.  He was very disappointed when I told him that it wasn't so much a matter of choice  but a matter of necessity. Still we were at least civil to one another.
Yesterday was different. I suspect the polling reported in this morning's paper may have had something to do with it. He knows the Greens candidate for this electorate cannot win. What is now worrying him is that his second choice may not get over the line either.  Most people I know, even those who would vote for his second choice, are quietly hoping that the incumbent will be returned.
You see, she's a nice person. She does genuinely care about people. She knows she can't do everything for everyone but she wants to do the most she can for as many people as possible. One term in office has not killed that desire. I hope she wins and another term in office doesn't do that. 
But our man will not be happy - and yet, in a way, he will be happy. He will be able to continue his visits to the electoral office to harangue her staff. He will be able to go on writing letters and demanding action. He will be able to attend community meetings and tell other attendees how she is not listening... and much more.
And what if his Greens candidate somehow managed to pull off an upset victory? Would he be happy?
I doubt it. He is happier being able to be the angry man.
I think I would rather be content knowing that nobody can do everything for everyone - and some people just do the best they can.

No comments: