Sunday 19 May 2019

Still no result in our electorate

although the incumbent is about 8000  votes ahead before preferences. 
Those preferences are a worry. 
I don't like "compulsory" preferences. I never have. For those of you who don't have the system I should explain. In Downunder there is compulsory attendance at the ballot box. Then, in order to have your vote count, you need to mark the boxes from (1) - your first choice - to  however many candidates there are on the ballot paper. You are supposed to do this in accordance with the way you would like them to represent you. 
Now this might sound all very good. If the candidate you want to represent you doesn't get in and there is someone else there that you think would be a good alternative then you can put a (2) beside their name - and so on down the line.
The problem comes about when it is compulsory to do this in order to have your vote count. The example I use is this. Say the reintroduction of the death penalty is an election issue. (It wasn't but suppose that it was.) What  if you have six candidates and only one of them opposes the death penalty? You oppose the death penalty so you mark them one...but then you have to go on and mark the others whether you agree with them or not. Your (2) or even your (3) could help to get a candidate whose views you strongly oppose over the line.
I don't like that. It could happen in our electorate where the views of the other major candidate - who could still get there - are of more than some concern to me. If we must have preferences they should not be compulsory.
As for the other result? Unexpected. I am profoundly grateful for the fact that a man who may yet have to face court on a serious criminal offence is not going to be the leader of the nation. Both major parties have ideas I like and ideas I don't like. Nothing is perfect.
And Open Day was noisy. There was a good crowd through the door. I bought a lovely skein of yarn I didn't need but will use to make something for a friend who needs a little extra support right now...no, maybe I did need it for her. 
Today the Senior Cat is going out with Middle Cat. I can defrost the freezer! 

3 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I agree that compulsory preferences are wrong - they are anti-democratic since they compel you to mention every candidate when there are plenty who should be ignored. And they are different ones for each voter. Would it be better if voters had the choice of negative votes for the ones that are anathema to them?

catdownunder said...

That would be interesting Jean!

Judy B said...

Jean's idea would be very interesting!