Sunday 26 May 2019

Teaching adults

is not like teaching children. I think I have said that somewhere before.
I am teaching a class next weekend. It has taken me quite a while to prepare for it.
I taught a class on the same topic over the summer but this group is different. They have different skill levels and require a different approach and different sorts of information.
They won't appreciate the amount of work that has gone into preparing for it. That isn't because they aren't nice people but because they won't know how long it takes.
Of course I used some of my previous preparation - the weeks of work that went into making two sample hats and writing class notes. This time though I had to think again. I had tacked some information in a previous class I taught but some people won't have done that class, others will. I need to be ready for different skill levels and different demands.
As I was preparing hand outs for the class the Senior Cat asked me, "Is it worth going to all that bother?"
I thought about it - again. The answer is - yes but not for the same reasons as teaching children. 
If I was teaching children they would likely be a captive audience They would likely have to be there. They would likely be required to learn something. As an adult it would be my duty to make that possible. If I could do it in a way that they found challenging, satisfying and perhaps enjoyable that would be a good thing.
If I am teaching adults then they are, in these circumstances, there because they want to be there. They expect to enjoy themselves. It is supposed to be "fun". They expect the teacher to give a great deal more. They don't expect to have to discover as much for themselves. 
But, I do want them to discover things for themselves. I want them to explore colour this time. We all have different ideas about colour. Nobody sees colour in quite the way as anyone else. I know someone who is knitting a two colour garment at the moment. For me the colours clash but she sees them as absolutely right - and that makes them right for her. It will be the same on Saturday. 
I hope they will help one another and try something out. It is supposed to be a learning experience for them. 
Simply telling them to "do this" or "do that" won't work. They are adults and they need to be taught.

No comments: