Wednesday 1 May 2019

The Labor leader

is apparently already publicly backing away from one of his "flagship" policies - the one that says  fifty percent of all new vehicles on the road by 2030 must be electric.
Well, it was never going to work given the geography of Downunder but it is interesting that he has admitted this before the election.
There are some other things that are not going to work either but he is unlikely to  back down on those until after the election.  I have been told as much by a Labor staffer.  It was an interesting conversation. 
This man knows that I am a highly sceptical cat. I believe very little of what I am told unless I can see the evidence. I try to be an intelligent voter. I seek out the policies of the parties on such issues as education, health and disability issues, the environment, indigenous affairs, refugees and foreign aid, libraries and the arts - and more. These are the things that I am particularly interested in. 
I also look at the record of the parties on these things - not the perceived record but the actual record. What have you actually done? How have you done it? If you didn't do it, why didn't you do it?
I know there can be major issues with getting even simple policies implemented. There can be major obstacles in the way of getting things done. 
Labor has come up with one more plan to sell votes to pensioners - a thousand dollars worth of free dental care every two years.  It was just pulled out of the air. They have no idea how it might work or even if it would work. The dentists may not be available, especially in rural areas. What sort of work would be covered? How long would people have to wait? Those are just a few of the issues for which there were no answers. I don't think anyone would disagree that dental care is essential to good health but the detail is lacking.
I said this to the staffer. He looked at me.
    "Cat, you should know better...."
In other words it is simply being said in an attempt to win votes. 
    "And the childcare plans?" I asked.
He laughed.  We both know that's not going to work the way that is being proposed. 
But these are signature policies, big ticket items that are being sold to the electorate to win votes.
All this scares me. 

No comments: