Friday 24 May 2019

Making marmalade

has occupied most of my blogging time this morning. I prowled off to the Farmers' market to get the fruit last Sunday but only had time to cut it up yesterday. (The market trip was necessary because the greengrocer only sells waxed fruit.)
The marmalade is for the Senior Cat. He has it on his breakfast toast. We ran out of the homemade variety some weeks back. He has  been eating something labelled "marmalade" from the supermarket. It is supposed to be good quality and he didn't complain. He isn't a complaining sort of cat. It would have to be inedible before he would tell me he didn't like it.
But, I asked and got the response, "It isn't as nice as what you make."
Oh. Well, the necessary fruit was coming into season....
And I looked at the ingredients on the jar I had bought.
Now, to me, marmalade has three ingredients - the fruit, the sugar and the water. Nothing else.
Not so the supermarket variety. There were other things as well - colours, preservatives, a "gelling agent" and more.  I suppose they are necessary if you want the product to have a long shelf life and go on looking attractive.
But now we have some of the home made variety - including some jars for others in the wilderness of no marmalade..
But , I think I'll stick to Vegemite on my toast.

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Ah but the whole point of marmalade and other jams is the fact that it is a preserve - with that great preservaive, sugar. Properly sealed it can last for years - the home made variety. The food experts don't seem to understand.
It is ike that other great preserved food - bacon. We get told that it is too salty for us, but it is the salt which made it a food to keep, hanging in a suitable place, for as long as it took the family to eat their way through it. No refrigeration required.

catdownunder said...

Well yes of course Vegemite is salty too!