Friday 3 May 2019

We had an election trespasser

yesterday.
He was the first but he probably won't be the last in this election campaign.
Now let's be quite clear about the law. If someone, anyone, is on your property and you ask them to leave they must. The only exceptions to this are the emergency services if a life or property is at risk. Even the police do not have the right to enter your property unless they have a warrant. That said, it would be better to allow the police to go about their business just as you would allow firefighters or ambulance staff to go about theirs. 
But, you don't need to allow anyone door knocking on your premises. If they are asked to leave, and I always start out politely, they must leave.
Yesterday's visitor thought differently. He was not from a political party but he still believed he had some sort of right because he wanted to talk to me about politics. I asked him to leave. He didn't want to do that until he had talked to me - and he said this very rudely. I told him I was calling the police and shut the door. I didn't call the police of course because there was nothing they could do once he had left the premises. But, I did watch him leave.
I am getting totally fed up with the way we are being bombarded with "information" this election. It is getting very nasty indeed. One of the state senators sent out some information yesterday. It contained an outright lie but she will almost certainly get away with it. It isn't something the media will want to call her out on. 
There are always vandalised corflutes but swastikas on those of Jewish candidates are more prevalent. Websites are being hacked and false claims are being made. 
    "Whatever it takes to win Cat," I was told. A staffer  of the current Opposition has been quite open about it. He has openly admitted that they will lie, that they will promise the earth and riches for all but "the rich", in order to win government. After that,  or so he tells me, "it doesn't matter". The old tactic of blaming the previous government and their new opponents will be all that is needed to excuse failure to deliver on promises they cannot possibly keep.
The Senior Cat has a general postal vote now. He won't have to run the gauntlet of those trying to hand out "how to vote" cards. I just say, "Thank you. I know what I am going to do" and go into the polling booth.
We need to be rid of "how to vote" cards. People should know how they intend to vote before arriving at a polling station. There should be up to date websites stating policies clearly. There should be regular appearances of all candidates in parks, libraries, shopping centres and the like - where they can be challenged about policies.
We need to be rid of the "election material" cluttering our letter box.  We need to be rid of the "short automated survey" phone calls which are electioneering in disguise.
We need to be rid of the trespassers too. 

2 comments:

hd said...

Unfortunately, I think my government lies more than yours does. The NY Times has counted over 10,000 lies/obviously misleading statements by a certain president in less than 2 years. amazing? Not.

interest in hearing other people's opinions at this point. Most days I just turn off the radio. Bothers me to listen to people lie.

The only benefit that I see to living on a hill is that various assorted persons with an agenda just don't bother to hike up to our door...

catdownunder said...

I think I'll move to the top of a very steep hill!