Friday 27 September 2019

Birthday cards

are not really something I care for - but regular readers will know I don't much care for birthdays either.
It always irritates me to pay a lot of money for a piece of light card and an envelope. There can be no justification for the prices that Hallmark and others charge.
I have been known to make birthday cards - for the years ending in "0". They always have the relevant number of quotes on them. The smallest of those was "10" for Ms W and the largest was "100" for a friend who was still alert and able to read at that age. When she died her son took the card back to the US with him because, "Mum said there were things on it I need to take on board".  Yes, there were 100 quotations on that card. 
But ordinary birthdays present a problem. Middle Cat is good at finding cards. So is my aunt. They both seem to find cards that exactly suit the person and the occasion. Middle Cat's tend to reflect her sense of humour. A..., my aunt, will often find cards that have unexpected little things on them or in them. 
I need a card today. It is someone's birthday. I want to acknowledge the occasion. Funny and quirky are not right for her. Sentimental is not appropriate. Actually saying "Happy Birthday" isn't really appropriate either. She isn't well and I know she is depressed - although she refuses to acknowledge that. I've suggested we go out for coffee/tea/chocolate/just a chat more than once but she shrugs and says, "Maybe...sometime." 
She says the same thing to everyone else too so I know it isn't me, rather it is her - and her depression speaking. Her doctor has gone as far as to give me an anxious look as she went into his room. Indiscreet? Perhaps - but I know him and I know his concern is genuine. He knows I would help if I could.
I have stopped inviting her to lunch...she would never come. There was always some excuse. 
So a birthday card as such seems inappropriate. I am even wondering if I should acknowledge her birthday at all. I think I should let her know that we are thinking of her.  
I'd just like to find the perfect card for her - one that would make her smile. 

No comments: