Wednesday 25 September 2019

The world is a mess

and I think I want to curl up into a little ball, close my eyes and put my paws over my ears. I just want it all to go away please!
Teenagers like Greta Thunberg should be in school learning so they can cope with the future. So-called adults like Trump, Johnson, Corbyn, Morrison, Albanese, Shorten, Wong, Turnbull, Macron, Merkel, Tusk, Juncker and many more should not be getting the news coverage they are getting. We shouldn't need to worry about climate change, homelessness, starvation, or terrorism - and much more than that.
I rang an elderly friend yesterday. She is currently struggling with diabetes related problems. I would much prefer that research money was being spent on finding ways to overcome her problems. All the money being spent on yet another "climate change conference" isn't actually doing anything - except perhaps scaring the likes of young T.... and his classmates. All this talk of "meeting emissions targets" isn't actually meeting them. Getting out there and actually doing things is much harder. And is it really that difficult or is  that people really don't want to make the decisions that need to be made and act on them? Oh yes, "we do our bit"  but it means everyone has to do their bit. It would mean drastic changes of lifestyle for many people...changes they are not really prepared to make. It means major changes of policy - changes people don't want to make for fear of losing power.  
It means not increasing the number of petty rules and regulations but decreasing them so that the world becomes a simpler place.
It means not presuming we can buy strawberries all year round and not thinking that a holiday in Bali every year is essential. 
There are more important things in life. This morning someone emailed to say that a friend is in hospital. The prognosis is not good. This afternoon the Senior Cat's much younger second cousin will bury his wife - someone who was younger than I am. His cousin has early onset dementia and it is going to be hard on his children to handle all that will be involved.  
Those things matter. We need to be seeking solutions to those problems not pandering to the financial interests and desire for power of those who benefit from frightening us but don't take the necessary steps themselves. 
I won't curl up on my sleeping mat and put my paw over my ears -  even though I want to do it. Right now I am prowling restlessly and worried about it all.
 

No comments: