Sunday 1 September 2019

There were crowds of people

at the showgrounds yesterday.
I don't much like crowds. We cats tend to get our paws trodden on or, in my case, I simply get in the way because I don't move fast enough. 
But, "the Show" is still interesting.  I will be there two days this week as I am on duty in the Handicrafts area. Yesterday was different. I was there at a "thank you" morning tea. 
It was held in a room on the upper floor of the newest building. We could look down on part of the crowd. The Senior Cat would love this experience. He loves "people watching". 
I always feel a little "weak around the knees" if I am up any distance so I didn't do too much looking but I could tell it was busy. People were going backwards and forwards of course but there were many others who were simply standing and looking at things while talking to stall holders and other show goers. The noise was nicely muted from on high too. There were no problems hearing the guest speaker.
I had already met her and she gave me a cheeky smile as she went to stand in front of the guests. I had just given her a large bag of wool to play with for the last part of her stay. The giant knitting needles she brought with her will make short work of that.
When it was over we prowled down to the ground floor level again and I went past the cookery noting that a young friend has won three prizes. That's good. She has many problems but she gets out and does things.  
Back in Handicrafts we sorted out a problem - that proved not to be a problem at all. It was simply a matter of a label not being displayed properly. I am sure the Show Gremlins have fun after we all go home!
I wasn't staying too long yesterday. The Senior Cat needed lunch and I had not arranged for Middle Cat to check on him. Still, it was time enough to talk to a number of people who had questions and to explain some of the items in the special "Queen Victoria Challenge" cabinet.
All this was good practice for the two days I will be there this week.
     "Worth the effort of putting it altogether Cat? "someone asked me.  She had helped to do it too.
I watched a very elderly man move slowly off. He had been looking closely at the woodwork and then stopped at the Queen Victoria items.
      "I had something almost exactly like that as a child," he had just told me as he indicated a toy, "I'd forgotten about it until now. Thank you." 
Yes, worth the effort of putting it together,

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Yes, all it takes is for that one person to react as the man did, and you know it was worth the effort.

catdownunder said...

It really was! He looked so happy in a quiet sort of way.