Tuesday 24 September 2019

"You want to put those on a clothes hanger"

the Senior Cat's friend told me. He was right.
I have just finished making two very small garments for a very small doll for a not quite so small child. 
    "I have to keep her wrapped up or she will be cold," I was told, "And Grandy can't make her clothes any more but she said you might if I ask you. Please?"
Of course. I made a little dress and a cardigan that matches. They were simple - but they needed a clothes hanger because Miss Four Year Old has a wardrobe for her doll clothes. It is nothing more than a simple wooden box but there is a rail and she hangs their clothes in there. Miss Four is a very neat child - unnaturally so.
Her grandfather went to his shed, found the necessary wire, cut off a length and - moments later - we had a coat hanger he had twisted out of the wire. It is like all the other coat hangers in the little wardrobe. 
I put the dress on and then arranged the cardigan carefully on top. It made a great difference. 
Miss Four came back from preschool. The doll was dressed and the result was met with approval. I was hugged and thanked - without Miss Four being prompted by anyone. 
     "These hangers are the best. Granddad makes them."
We left her rearranging clothes in the wardrobe, dressing and undressing her three dolls, doing all the things that small girls do.
Miss Four is living with her grandparents for the moment. Due to illness the family situation isn't good and money is tight.  
I made the dress and cardigan out of left over yarn. The hanger came from what was once fencing wire. The "wardrobe" was once an old fruit box. 
As I was leaving though Miss Four came out to say goodbye. I got hugged again and told, "I'm happy and happy and happy."
I'm happy too - happy that she doesn't apparently feel the need for a bright pink plastic wardrobe full of "designer" clothes designed for a doll of improbably proportions.

No comments: