Sunday 8 September 2019

There was silence in the meeting

yesterday. I was at an AGM and things were not going quite the way some people expected. 
There was no voting. The positions were simply filled by single candidates. Nobody spoke up even though it was clear that some people were not happy about the results.
I had said my piece earlier, in a letter to the previous committee. I had simply said I was no longer available to help and outlined my reasons why. That my letter had been read was obvious. I didn't need to say any more.
But other people? If they weren't happy then they should have spoken up.  They should have offered to take on positions. I know one person thought seriously about doing one set of duties even though her physical capacity to do it is seriously limited. Nobody else seemed willing.
Had the situation been different I would have offered to take on a role. I informed the previous position holder of this but I knew she really wanted to keep the position and, as I could not be there at the relevant time, there was no choice.
So we have a small group of people who have effectively shifted positions around or taken on additional duties.
It can happen in all organisations. I was hoping  that some of the newer members would be willing to do more to help. Unfortunately some of them were reluctant  because of the increasing number of rules that seem to be made to govern every aspect of the group. Why should they be necessary? I know of no other group that has so many rules - and rules which are so stringently applied. 
Of course we need rules - but we also need commonsense.

No comments: