Saturday 26 May 2018

A notice to all blog "followers"

 The following notice appeared on another part of my blog site yesterday

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

Out of courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies, and other data collected by Google.

You are responsible for confirming that this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third-party features, this notice may not work for you. If you include functionality from other providers there may be extra information collected from your users

 I am repeating it here  because I have no idea how to deal with it.  I cannot see it displayed - perhaps someone else can tell me whether it appears.
As a notice it doesn't bother me. I don't collect data from anyone. The only issue would appear to be the list of "followers". Now I have to say those people put themselves there. I haven't looked at the list in detail for years. It's been useful because very occasionally it has allowed me to (a) contact someone because of information they have put up themselves and (b) find something else. 
One of you, perfectly reasonably, asked me to remove her from the list. I tried to find out how to do that and it seems I can't do it without blocking her access to the blog. She's a friend so I don't want to do that.  I've been told it might also mean turning this blog from "public" to "private". Ms W's father showed me how to see how many "hits" it was getting and where from. Having seen where it is read I don't want to do that either. She can however stop "following" me herself. 
At the request of a number of people I put a link to the day's blog post up on Twitter and Facebook each day. What that means, apart from people being able to access the blog, I have no idea. 
I don't mention children by name and, for the most part, adults will only be mentioned by initial. 
Twice I have been accused of making fun of someone who apparently feels she has cause to dislike me. I wasn't. I was actually being positive about her approach to tasks - which is meticulous. (Our current crop of politicians could learn a lot from her.)  It may be that she is a regular reader of this blog too but if information is collected about that it has to be because she clicks on to it and I can do nothing about that.
There have been a couple of occasions when people have disagreed sufficiently to be defamatory. I have just deleted what they had to say. I have deleted some spam. I don't advertise for other people so the Adsense thingy is not relevant.
And, I have no way of contacting most of the people who "follow" me. They would have done so when I began writing these posts . I have no idea whether they still follow me or not. 
But the notice is at the beginning of this post. If you wish to "unfollow" me then please do - but I am not spying on you. 
I will now fold my paws neatly in front of me and await your responses. 

2 comments:

kayT said...

I can read your notice. I "follow" you on Feedly. I want to keep doing that. I enjoy your blog. I really think it's overdoing things to require this notice on blogs but I guess it doesn't hurt anything except making more work for bloggers. Whatever.

jeanfromcornwall said...

I did get the line at the top about cookies yesterday and just ot rid of it by clicking ok, whatever - - -. It is this new reguation that has come in and I am being drowned in e=mails to say "review your preferences on our website. which has beeen a good opportunity to unsubscribe to a lot of mail order companies who I am unlikely to deal with again.
Tedious though!