Tuesday 22 May 2018

Keeping a pig as a pet

does not appeal to me as an idea.
Pork does not appear on the menu in this house either.  It never has. We aren't Jewish or Muslim but pork has never been part of our diet. 
My paternal grandmother refused to use it. As a quite young kitten I remember visiting the butcher with her. There was a new assistant in the shop. Whatever my grandmother wanted in the way of a "nice roast" was not available. He offered something like, "I could let you have a nice bit of pork."  My grandmother refused.
On the way home she explained to me, "Pork is not good meat. Pigs will eat anything. They are fed on rubbish. Your grandfather won't touch it and I am very glad about that."
I have not forgotten that incident. Regulations have been tightened drastically since my childhood - rightly so. Still, I can't eat pork. 
Ms W won't eat pork either. "Charlotte's Web" did that for her years ago. She cried every time the book was mentioned and, at school, refused to eat pork. The boarding house staff gave up in the end. Now she knows "it was a story of course but I just can't do it"
I thought of all this as I glanced over a story about "Bacon". Bacon is the name of a miniature pig kept as a pet. Pork doesn't get eaten in his household either. 
He's a well trained pig, part of the family. He has apparently been to dog obedience school - and passed. There is mention of him going for walks on a lead and a picture of him going for a ride in a car.
I am sure his owners find him a pleasure to have around the place because pigs can learn to be clean and obedient. 
I still wouldn't want a pig as a pet. Animal lover that I am I really don't want another pet at all. I don't have the capacity to care for one in the way I think an animal should be cared for.
It is said that "cats look down on people, dogs look up to people and pigs is equal". This Cat thinks there is something about pigs....and I sincerely hope I don't look down on people.


 

2 comments:

helen devries said...

When I lived in Norfolk, one of my neighbours had a pet pig...the runt of the litter, he was given to her with a view to bringing him on as future pork chops.
However he became domesticated, perfectly house trained, and accompanied her wherever she went. I remember him as a most friendly animal...though at some point he had been castrated.
Luckily he died before she did.

catdownunder said...

You couldn't possibly turn a pet into pork chops!