Friday 11 May 2018

"Have we got any biscuits?"

the Senior Cat asked me.
It was an unusual question from him,  unusual enough for me to ask, 
      "Didn't I feed you at lunchtime?"
He doesn't usually eat between meals. If our lovely neighbour across the road asks  us over for afternoon tea  he will, out of politeness, eat a scone. (She makes excellent scones. Even I, no lover of such things, will eat hers.) 
Biscuits? I keep a few in the  cupboard for him to nibble on if he wants something else after his evening snack.
I think part of the problem is that we eat our main meal in the middle of the day. That was at the suggestion of a doctor who attended to him more than twenty years ago. It proved a good move him. Now he is at an age where the idea of a heavier meal later in the day doesn't appeal at all.
It is sometimes awkward with respect to timing and getting things done. Once in a very long while I need to buy something ready made - a ready cooked chicken some time back is an example. I try to keep at least a half a dozen frozen meals on hand so that we can use those when time is short.
But biscuits? I make shortbread and lebkuchen at Christmas time and Anzac (oatmeal) biscuits for Anzac Day. If  we need biscuits in between I buy them - and yes, of course I keep a supply on hand for him. He deserves it. He is much thinner than I or the doctor would like. It isn't because I don't feed him or because he doesn't eat. He simply doesn't put on weight.
So, biscuits? Well the supermarket had a "special" on chocolate biscuits recently. I bought a packet. I also bought a packet of plain "digestive"  biscuits, another "special". 
I produced these. Which did he want? 
A choice? 
No, he really shouldn't eat between meals. He would have one tonight.
I put the biscuits back. It was no use trying to persuade him.
He had one of each in the evening instead. 
I'd get rid of the baking book but it has the recipe for wholemeal shortbread in it. He likes those.
Biscuits? Perhaps I should make them?

1 comment:

jeanfromcornwall said...

So often, the answer is a biscuit! I am sure that societies who have a very different way of eating have also developed their own biscuit equivalent. I just wish our manufacturers would use a bit less sugar!
I don't know if my hands would manage it now, but I used to thrill the family when I made Viennas, using my biscuit press - and sandwiched them together with dark chocolate - just a smear of it. They were melt-in-the-mouth, but had a hard time lasting long enough to be put in the tin.