Sunday 20 May 2018

I made a journey yesterday

but I don't know whether I will be making that journey again. No, for once, nobody is dying but there are problems and I am not sure I can do any more but....
Yesterday I was also very conscious of the building I was in.  By Downunder standards it is a very old building. It is made from rough stone. There are a thousand shades of brown, beige, coffee, hazel, cocoa, umber, tan, fawn and caramel in those stones. There are hints of red, cream, orange, grey and blue as well.  All of those colours are a reflection of what the building now stands for.
It was once a chapel. The primary purpose then was, of course, a place of worship. It is still a place of worship at times. 
It is a building in which returned service personnel meet - the RSL or Returned and Services League. 
I went in there thinking of marriages - marriages and war. 
Yesterday there was a marriage in England that attracted attention right around the world. I suspect some of it came as a surprise to many people, even some of those who were present  in the chapel where it took place.
They should not have been. It was a celebration of life, of love, of hope for the future. It is exactly what the groom's mother would have hoped for her younger son. His father's gesture of kindness was also a public gesture of the acceptance and welcome I have no doubt he genuinely feels. 
The guest list was diverse. Of course there were people who are rich and famous - but there were also some people who are not. 
I took a look at a video on a news site this morning before writing this. I didn't see any of the coverage last night. It isn't in my nature to sit and watch television coverage of such things. But I was curious to see how it was being covered after a week or more of what can only be described as snide coverage. 
Thankfully the tone had changed. I watched as the commentator spoke of some of the rich and famous going in to the chapel. Behind them though I caught a glimpse of another face, the face of someone I know well. He wasn't avoiding the cameras but he wasn't looking at them either. It isn't in his nature to do that. I suspected he might have been invited but I doubt anyone other than his own personal secretary would have known about the invitation. It isn't in his nature to talk about such things.
And yes, he knows about war and the needs of those who return from war. He would take a moment of quiet reflection in the chapel part of the building I was in yesterday.
I know he would tell me, "Give it one more try Cat."
Yes J.... I'll try. There's hope in the world when you are on the guest list.

No comments: