Monday 17 September 2018

A Royal Commission into Aged Care

is long overdue.
I spend too much time going in and out of local aged care facilities. I know too many "old" people in them.
Yesterday I was pondering this as I pedalled  up to the shopping centre because, almost unbelievably, the optician's business is open - albeit for limited services.
One of those services was the minor repair to the Senior Cat's glasses. The girl there dealt with the problem quickly and cheerfully. She informed me why the problem occurred (and may occur again) and cleaned his glasses rather more effectively than he does.  (No, it is one of those things he can do for himself. I do not do it.)
We agreed that, at 95, if he can read and wants to read then he should be able to read. He most certainly should not have to wait for days to get something that simple fixed.
It is for the same sort of reason that I go in and out of the local nursing homes. I know people there. They often have no other visitors who can do small things like that.
No, it isn't that I like doing it or want to do it or that it makes me feel good. If I am honest I don't like doing it and I don't want to do it and it makes me feel depressed.
It makes me feel depressed because all the aged care homes I need to visit smell of overcooked vegetables, disinfectant and those indefinable smells of "institution", "lack of care" and "neglect".  You are assailed by the sound of the television set in the "day lounge" or the sound of voices at "community singing" or a member of staff complaining that someone has not made it to the bathroom on time...and so it goes on.
I have bought clothes for people who can no longer go out to shop but still want to look good - even when they no longer get visitors more than a couple of times a year. I have taken in library books they want to read - not the light romances and westerns it is thought they want to read. I have taken in knitting yarn, needles, patterns, and other craft materials. I have taken delivery of hats and blankets and baby items they, both men and women, have knitted and crocheted for other people.
Yes, they can still think of others even when others are no longer thinking of them. "It makes me feel as if I am still of some use dear."
It is said that around 40% of people in nursing homes never get visitors...and that another 20% are visited only rarely, perhaps on occasions such as birthdays or when something needs to be done - all too often to the advantage of the visitor. That leaves a mere 40% who do get visitors.
I prowl in and see hopeful, eager faces. A visitor? Who is it? Is it someone I know? Have they come to see me? It's why I will stop, even when I really don't have the time. I'll stop and chat just for a few minutes. They know I am busy and will often send me on my way after a moment or two. "Off you go girl. I know you have things to do. Come back soon though."
I listen to their tales. I hug them when one of their number leaves them as inevitably they must. 
I have been ordered out of rooms by angry relatives fearful of losing their inheritance - and hugged by others who have lived in places as far away as Hong Kong, Tokyo and Washington DC.  "Thank you so much for looking after Mum - or Dad" - when all I did was visit occasionally, do a little shopping now and then or simply listen to what they wanted to tell me.
It is the people who have families, families that are not close knit and close by, who are most at risk. They are the least likely to get visitors. It is, odd though it may seem, single people who have developed and maintained their own social networks who are most likely to get visitors. And of course it all depends on remaining mentally alert and able.
I know the staff are watching me. I am a deliberately irregular visitor. If they don't know when I am coming then they need to be prepared for me to be there at any time. It should not but does make for better care of those I go to see.
My siblings and I know that this is not what we want for the Senior Cat. He would hate it. He would hate the lack of privacy, the meals taken with others, the "entertainment" and much more. I know many of those already there detest it too. 
We have an ageing population in this state and in many other places. It is time to rethink aged care. 

2 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

It is definitely time for a rethink of "aged care" and all systems of care quite frankly whether it is care for our youngest, oldest or otherwise vulnerable.

The announcement of this Royal Commission into Aged Care is welcome but also an insult to people with disabilities and their advocates who have been calling for a similar Inquiry into the care of people with disabilities for years and have remained ignored despite compelling evidence of abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disabilities.

How depressing to think of the numbers of younger people with disabilities who have been 'parked' in aged care facilities because there are not enough suitable housing options available. Are these people going to be included in the Royal Commission into Aged Care or will they be discriminated against and have their needs ignored yet again?

For all people who find themselves dependent on a system of care, where is the humanity from the powers that be and the organisations charged with their care? Where is the courage from people involved in the care who know it is substandard but do not speak up?

Thank goodness media investigations have spurred many people to find their voices but it's disgraceful that nothing ever gets done until the media choose to highlight it. Politicians should be listening more to individuals in their electorates instead of letting things slide until the media might expose their negligence on issues such as this.

Jodiebodie said...

It's great that you are visiting at random and using your voice.