Wednesday 5 September 2018

"We do not support

the removal of the golliwogs...." and "I don't think they should have been taken from the cabinets..."
And so it went on. 
I spent yesterday at the showgrounds in the handicraft section. I will be back there tomorrow - and on Friday. Perhaps things will have calmed down by then.
I know one person who commented on yesterday's blog post disagrees with me. We will have to agree to disagree. There was just one person yesterday who thought that "maybe" it was the right decision. At no time did I raise the issue. (Those of us on duty had agreed that we would not.) It was members of the public who were raising it with us.
Members of the public come to this event in all shapes, sizes, colours, races, religions, educations, and backgrounds. Some of them wandered in to say things like, "I'm not really interested in this sort of stuff (the handicrafts) but I just wanted to tell you...."
Of course it is easier to agree face to face on a controversial issue than it is to face up to someone with whom you disagree. Nevertheless I know that nobody on duty was shouted at, indeed up until the point where I left (late in the afternoon) nobody had anyone who had supported the decision to remove the golliwogs from the cabinet. Those who objected to the decision included members of the community who were apparently so offended that they needed to be removed.
We had information there ready to explain if it was necessary but even that was not used. People simply did not see them as being offensive. Children wondered what the fuss was about and asked if we were going to remove the clown from the same cabinet and "what would happen if you had a doll like Milly?"  (Milly was wearing an hijab.) That was an interesting question because those who strictly observe Islam would object to any face being represented and a doll dressed that way....?
I will be interested to see what happens tomorrow and Friday - although by then it may be old news and people won't be talking about it.

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

It is a shame that the whole issue causes offense all round.
Keep Golliwogs in, it upsets one group. Take them out, it upsets another.

If only there could be more reasonable and respectful conversations between people. There would be more tolerance if only people could understand one another a bit better. I suspect that the complainants have been so traumatised and the makers feel so falsely accused that the emotion gets in the way of reason.

I am sorry that you have been the target of some disrespectful behaviour through no fault of your own. How rude by people!

I haven't followed the Golliwog issue too closely (and wasn't even thinking about it any more when I was at the show until someone else raised it) but it seems to have sparked arguments about the history of the dolls etc. I am no historian. I wasn't living in those past times so who am I to be so sure of the history.

I don't know that historical arguments are particularly helpful. Regardless our community has come to this point where the golliwog design is in question and it is time to reconcile the differences and find a way to move forward.

My question is: will removing the dolls from the show aid reconciliation or is it just a way to 'sweep it under the carpet' without resolution? Maybe it can take the heat out of the argument so people can find reason enough to listen to all sides.