Saturday 22 September 2018

"When can you let us have the patterns?"

"What patterns?"  I asked.
Okay I knew what patterns she was talking about but I had no intention of saying so. This person wants something for nothing. She probably won't use the patterns. She just wants to have them.
I am tired of this already.
The Queen Victoria Challenge is fine. I am still enthusiastic about it, very enthusiastic perhaps. I want it to be a success.
What I am not enthusiastic about is the expectations of some other people. 
Yes, I expected to give people some help but how much help? 
I think I explained somewhere that Victorian era knitting patterns do not say things like, "Two balls of X yarn, a pair of Y mm needles. Tension/gauge Z sts to 10cms." Nor do they say things like, "Cast on 10/15/20 sts and knit 20 rows in k2 p2 rib"
They are much more likely to call for "fine" yarn and "fine" needles. They often say nothing about tension/gauge. It is possible that they will even say things like "make sufficient stitches" and then - if you are lucky - they might tell you to "knit two inches in rib pattern".
The Victorians assumed people knew far more and that they would be able to get help when they needed it. They were reasonable assumptions too. People did more knitting and sewing and the like.They had to or they would not have been clothed. Only the wealthiest people could rely on others to help them - and if you had servants what did you do with your time anyway?
Reading the patterns is interesting and sometimes frustrating. The abbreviations are not necessarily explained - indeed, likely not explained.  It took me more than a moment to realise that "tto" was an abbreviation for a form of double decrease - decreasing two stitches at the same time.  The writer was probably thinking "take two over".  
I made the Balmoral bonnet (yesterday's post)without a pattern. I couldn't find one with the pictures I found. (If anyone has any idea where to find one from the Victorian era I would appreciate knowing.) In all probability the people who made them did so without a pattern. I can write a pattern - but it will be a modern interpretation of the traditional item.
There are other patterns though. I've seen some "poetry mittens" - mittens with verses written into them. The verses are often of a religious or moral nature. Should I chart a pair? Would anyone make them if I did? Then there are the wonderful collars and cuffs, the gloves, the stockings. the  reticules and the shawls...and so much more. I can't translate all of it so I will stay with small things, things more likely people will try to make.
Yes, I will try to "translate" the patterns into a modern form but I am wondering just what people expect and want....and whether they will really be interested. 

2 comments:

kayT said...

You might give a shout-out to Franklin Habit for the bonnet pattern; he has a lot of older patterns and knows a lot about them. (I suppose it's even possible he reads your blog.)

Momkatz said...

I would be staring at "tto" forever. I've never heard of take two over. How ever did you figure it out, Cat?
Big Sister Cat