Monday 3 September 2018

Lifelines come in all sorts

forms. They have probably saved the lives of millions over the centuries since they were first used. 
I have no idea where or how they were first used but I do know that the use of what are called "life lines" in knitting are relatively new. 
That may be why the knitter who called on me yesterday was not aware of them.
For  the uninitiated among you lifelines are used by savvy lace knitters in case they make errors (and who doesn't) and they need to unpick part of their work. You thread a piece of finer (and preferably contrasting) yarn through your stitches at intervals. If you need to unpick your work then it is easier to pick your stitches up again. If you drop a stitch (me, frequently) then they will only go back to that point. Oh yes, very useful.
So yesterday I met a knitter. She lives in the far west of this state. She is over for the week of the show. Her husband is here about sheep. She is here to help. (There is a lot to this sheep business.) This woman knits. She likes to knit lace but she knits in isolation on a remote station "not as remote as some but still a long way from anywhere".  All she has had to go by are patterns, needles, yarn and her own determination to do something she finds beautiful. There isn't a lot of call for lace garments so she makes other things.
I came into contact with her because she wants to make an incredibly beautiful but very complex shawl for her daughter to use as a wedding veil. 
It was a new venture for her. She will be using "cobweb" weight yarn rather than fine cotton and the difference in knitting experience will be immense. The pattern is Shetland in design - rather than German or Dutch, Scandinavian or Baltic. 
I am familiar with the pattern. I haven't knitted it myself because I don't knit other people's patterns but I have corresponded with the creator. I am aware of groups which are there to support each other through the knitting of it - yes, it is that complex. 
Yesterday I sat down with this lovely, rather quiet country woman and we went through the pattern together. It took a while. I explained the differences between it and the work she has been used to doing. She asked questions and took notes. I could see her uncertainty about knitting it receding.
And then I said, "And I'd put a lifeline here and here...."
     "What do you mean?"
I explained about lifelines. Her smile turned into a laugh.
     "What a wonderful idea! I've never heard of such things."
I can't take credit for the idea of lifelines but I am glad I could pass the idea on. 
She has set herself an achievable goal for each day and given herself a month to spare. It is undoubtedly typical of the way she has to organise her life on a busy sheep station.
I will think of her sitting in her favourite chair for her allotted knitting time each day.   She has promised to send me a photograph of her daughter wearing it. 
   "Don't forget to remove the lifelines," I told her.
   "They will stay there as long as I need them." 

No comments: