Sunday 14 April 2019

Easter eggs

appeared in the shops weeks ago - along with hot cross buns. The Easter hens have been laying over time this year.
I was in "Big W" yesterday afternoon -buying winter pajamas for the Senior Cat - and people were going out with arm loads of eggs. The Easter hens seem to lay them in a wide range of colours and sizes.
I didn't look. I know that S.... the paediatrician mother of T... and H... across the road will not want me to give her two chocolate eggs.
We didn't get much in the way of eggs when we were small either. I remember my paternal grandfather drawing faces on our eggs one Easter Sunday morning. My maternal grandmother used to give us a sugar egg each. My mother would take them away and give us a small piece when we were "good". The eggs lasted for weeks that way.
One glorious year someone, a visitor to the house, brought a carton of chocolate eggs. We had those for weeks too. Apart from that I do not remember having sugar eggs or chocolate eggs.
We certainly did not have eggs in the amount that were going out the doors yesterday. I heard comments like, "Well, you've got to do it don't you? They expect it" and "If I don't give them something..."
When Ms W was small we would make eggs for Easter together. Middle Cat's mother-in-law gave me some red "egg dye" and we would hard boil eggs so that the shells turned a rosy red. Other people would give her chocolate eggs. She would take them back to school, give them to Matron, and forget about them. 
       "The chocolate isn't nice but don't tell anyone," she would tell me. 
My nephews here were the same. They would be given chocolate eggs. Their mother would find them sitting on top of the cupboard weeks later. If they were still within the use-by date she would pass them on. 
Their paternal grandmother, a Greek-Cypriot migrant of Greek Orthodox faith, would give away dozens of eggs. They were all ordinary hard boiled eggs dyed dark red. She kept one pot in her kitchen for the express purpose of dyeing the eggs. Ms W and I never made them as dark as she did, nor did we do as many. We didn't try and crack them by knocking them against each other in the way that P.... showed us either. 
But, we had fun dyeing the eggs and you can still eat them afterwards - even if egg white has turn a pale pink. They can make a good sandwich. You can't do that with a chocolate egg.
Ms W was eyeing off the eggs yesterday. She read the labels. She looked at the chocolate rabbits. I saw her standing there with that expression which tells me she is thinking hard about something. She put the rabbit she was holding back on the shelf with a little pat.
Then she went around the corner and found the blocks of chocolate. They were "on special". She  chose one and then saw me. It's very good chocolate but it isn't cheap.
    "It's the same sort of chocolate as the rabbits only you get more for the same amount of money. I feel sorry for the rabbits but I can wrap this up to look like an egg for my Dad."
If I know C..... he will appreciate the wrapping (which will definitely look egg like and take time) than the chocolate.
Perhaps that is what it should be about?
 

1 comment:

jeanfromcornwall said...

My Mum had an aluminium saucepan that was oxidised to black inside, and on Easter Sunday she would sneak a bit of cochineal into the egg water so that they came out red as if by magic. Sweet "eggs" were a rarity.