Friday 12 April 2019

The doctor was late

- very late.
I had a medical appointment yesterday. It was a routine appointment with my GP. 
I arrived five minutes before the appointed time and I waited. I waited. I waited. Finally  I saw her sixty-five minutes after the appointed time. 
When I finally saw her I was given five minutes of her time. It was long enough for her to rapidly inform me of the results of the latest blood test, take my blood pressure  and then inform me,
    "I'm sorry we have run out of 'flu vax."
Now the chief reason for me going yesterday instead of after Easter as she had originally told me to do was to get that jab. 
I am not impressed. I am on the "urgent" list for the jab.
Quite apart from anything else the Senior Cat had his jab on Tuesday. I need mine because the Senior Cat is still vulnerable. Apart from the fact that it takes two to three weeks for the jab to work the way it is intended to work if I become ill there is nobody who can care for him. Middle Cat simply can't do the job. 
Respite care? You have to be joking. There would be none available. We've been told that.
We are trying to do the responsible thing. Nobody wants a 96yr old in rather frail physical health rushed to hospital with the 'flu. In all likelihood it would kill him.
To add to my woes I had to call Middle Cat once I was outside the clinic because the Senior Cat was not answering the phone. At least she answered and yes, she was available to head around and tell the Senior Cat what had happened. 
     "And please turn the oven on?" I asked
Yes, she would do that too. 
I arrived home  - having pedalled as fast as I could all the way. The thirty-five minute journey took me thirty minutes. ]
I sniffed the air. Lunch was burning. Lunch was ruined. Middle Cat had turned the oven to the wrong setting. She was still trying to calm the anxious Senior Cat. (I was now an hour later than I had said was likely.)
I wanted to sit down and howl. I hate worrying the Senior Cat like that. He does worry. He has always worried but it is worse now that he feels so vulnerable.
Middle Cat was upset she had spoiled our lunch.
And the Senior Cat? Once he knew I was safe he simply said, "We can have a bit of bread and cheese or something. It doesn't matter."
Middle Cat said "No. If you can wait another twenty minutes we will go and get something."
I went and bought him a meat pie. He likes pies and it was a particularly nice one. I made salad. He had stewed plums and ice cream for afters. 
     "That was nice but it is even nicer you are home safe. It's all I care about," he said.
Is it any wonder I love him?
 

No comments: