Friday 5 April 2019

"No, I am not going to volunteer"

I said this to the person who had just asked me to volunteer to do something.
    "But Cat..."
    "I am not volunteering."
I am one of those who, when volunteers are called for, meekly put their paws up - or feel wretchedly guilty for not doing so but  yesterday's request was not one of those times. I
It made me think about volunteering yet again. It is something I think about quite often. I think about it when I go into the local charity shop because the volunteers in there are almost all very elderly. Several of them are 90 or more. They spend a day there once a week. It's hard work. They are getting tired.
I saw P.... there yesterday. 
    "Hello dear.... did B.... call you in?"
I nod and slip through to the back room to find B...  The person wanting help hasn't arrived. That happens. We are used to it. I wander off to look at the books and see if there is anything there the Senior Cat might want to read. The boy wanting help does arrive. There is no apology for being late. He doesn't want to be there. He's nervous and ready to fight any hint of being told what to do. He says defiantly,
     " I suppose you think I'm stupid too. Everyone thinks I'm stupid."
     "No, you got yourself here. That makes you smart in my book."
He can't read. He can't tell the time. He has no family and he is in danger of being kicked out of his group housing because he keeps getting into fights. So far he has somehow managed not to be in serious trouble with the law. I've been told all that by his case worker who is trying to keep him out of trouble.
But I seem to have given him the right answer. He wriggles. I ask a few questions about what he likes.  Unlike most boys in his situation he does not like football. He likes animals. He'd like to have a dog but isn't allowed to have one. No, he wouldn't like to have a dog he would actually like to have a lot of dogs. If he could have a job he would like it to be outside and it wouldn't matter what the weather was like. He hates school. They make fun of him there so he keeps being suspended when he hits back. 
We go on. His answers are largely monosyllabic unless he is talking about dogs he has met and seen. He thinks guide dogs and assistance dogs are "cool" and other working dogs  are too. Has he ever talked to anyone about this? He shrugs. I take that as a "no" so I say, "How would you feel about volunteering at....."
I mention an animal shelter I know might take him on.
     "Nah, they wouldn't want me."
     "Well actually they might. I know they are looking for someone who can help do the mucky stuff but who might want to help with..."
I get no further.
      "You serious?"
I nod.
He slouches further down in the chair and swears under his breath.
He's thinking about it. I say nothing.
     "Can I go have a look?"
     "Sure. One of the men is going over a bit later. You could go with him if you like...just have a look."
     "You got it all planned then?"
     "No....entirely up to you."
     "Think about it," he mutters not quite ready to give in easily.
He went. He might stick it out. 
I have no doubt he is not stupid. He is profoundly dyslexic but he can apparently understand "canine" and "feline" and various other animal languages. The manager of the shelter left me a message telling me that the animals had responded to him immediately - in ways they don't often do with other volunteers. Did I want to volunteer there as well?
No  - but they need him. I hope he realises he needs them too.

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Oh I hope . . . Animals can be so good for people.

Katherine Langrish said...

That's such a good thing to have suggested, Cat. You took him seriously, treated him with respect. I hope it works out.