Saturday 13 April 2019

"I can't find anyone to do the job,"

the harassed voice at the other end of the 'phone told me. 
I had been about to pedal off and catch the train to go to the dentist. It was just as well I had given myself a few minutes to spare.
The Senior Cat does not get much help to go on living at home. He had an assessment almost two years ago and the only thing they would allow was help with a shower three times a week. Other people get help with the garden, cleaning, shopping, cooking and transport to essential appointments. He gets none of that. I am expected to do all things. (It means we pay people to do the heavy gardening like mowing the lawn and cleaning the bits I can't reach. I do the shopping and the cooking. Middle Cat has to do transport duty because I can't drive.)
So  yesterday there was nobody available to shower the Senior Cat. S...., who usually does it and whom he likes very much, is seeing her own elderly parents in China. Both the Senior Cat and I are very glad she has been able to make the trip. But we wondered who would come. 
Nobody it seems. 
    "We'll cope somehow," I told the harassed person.
    "And Monday?" 
    "Yes," I told her.
    "Thank you so much. I'll see what I can do about Wednesday but I only work Thursday and Friday."
My guess is that nothing will be done about Wednesday. The service does not work on public holidays so there will be nothing on the following Friday (Good Friday) or on Easter Monday.  The following Wednesday? I won't hold my breath.
Now we can cope but it is a job I hate doing. It isn't because I don't want to help it is because it is difficult for both of us. It is actually not safe. I am not trained to do this and helping the Senior Cat sit and stand in bare feet even on a non-slip mat is not something I feel comfortable about. It worries me. 
We are extremely grateful to S... She always seems the same. I know her well enough to help her with her English. Now she will ask me for words or if something she has said is correct. She tells us about her children. We have met her young daughter. 
And we have made it very clear to the service provider that we don't wish to lose her services. It is why I tried not to show my own frustration yesterday. I know there aren't enough people willing to do the job and that some of them are untrained.  It isn't well paid either.
But, it is a job. It is surely better than nothing. It could lead to other things. I know one young girl who was able to do some training as a result of doing the job. She did a course which led to another course and which led to  yet another. This year she has started nursing training proper. She's a refugee who is still grateful to be here and determined to show her appreciation.
I just wish there were more people with her attitude. It would stop me worrying that I might cause the Senior Cat to fall and injure himself. At his age the consequences could easily be fatal. 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

I have also had issues with a support service agency not providing workers. That particular agency frequently claims to not have enough workers. I know of support workers who are willing to work but are leaving the agency because of poor conditions and poor communication from the agency. They are leaving community home care for more formal nursing positions. It is not surprising that an agency doesn't have enough workers if it doesn't treat them (or their clients) with appropriate respect and professionalism.

Senior Cat deserves to receive the service that has been budgeted for him. If this agency had notice of your regular worker's intention to be away (as I assume your worker would have given), then why hasn't the agency organised a replacement well in advance? Surely a worker would like the advance notice of a confirmed booking? I also can't understand why an agency wouldn't have capacity in its business model to manage absenteeism of any kind.

A good support worker is gold. You should not be compromising Senior Cat's or your own safety when you are supposed to be getting a service to keep you safe and well. Be careful that your lenience and politeness isn't taken advantage of by unscrupulous agency staff. We can't have either of you coming to grief. Take care! I wish you all the best. x