Tuesday 9 July 2019

A letter from the bank

arrived  yesterday.
I had, rightly, growled gently about getting an unsolicited phone call from them. Yes, it turns out that the call was a legitimate one. That just made the incident even more disturbing.
I think I told you about the young man who was all, "Hi Cat, I'm P.... from the bank."
As a marketing exercise to tell you that pass books were being phased out and they wanted you to make an appointment to "discuss the options" it was poorly thought out. It simply isn't safe. Safety says that you ring the bank about these things. The bank does not ring you about these things. The bank staff talk to you about it the next time you go in. They wait. Yes, it might be annoying for them but the bank has your money. They use it and they make money out of it.
I growled politely but I growled. In my growl I said "you don't know me, don't address me by my first name and don't make unsolicited phone calls to older account holders. Send them a letter."
I think I stirred something up there. I had a letter. It addressed me by my family name. It said that they had taken the matter on board as a formal complaint and that it was going back to the relevant department for review. I can complain further to another authority if I so wish - details provided.
Yes, I still have a pass book. The money in it isn't actually mine but money I hold in trust. I will need to consult someone else to decide how we handle it.
I will miss those pass books!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Institutions should be very careful about communicating with their customers. They should write, formally but clearly and pleasantly to everyone., using secure email if appropriate (they send an email to tell you to read it.). Well done, getting something done about inappropriate behaviour.

I get annoyed at being greeted like the proverbial long-lost friend by someone I have never met - may never meet - but I guess it cuts down on formality and “barriers”. I like a full name, when I am dealing with a professional, not “Dave” etc.

LMcC