Tuesday 16 July 2019

"There is nothing sacred about Uluru"

is what I have been told.
Uluru was once known as Ayre's Rock. It is a lump of rock  in the middle of the country with no significant lumps of rock around it. In other words it does not look like part of a mountain range.
I once taught a child whose father was one of the Rangers there. He knew the local indigenous population well. 
    "There is nothing sacred about the rock," he told me, "I think I'd know.  There are some places around the base which aren't safe. The elders tell the young ones stories about those - to keep them safe."
That was his view.
My late friend R..., a full heritage/blood indigenous woman, was also of the view there was nothing sacred about Uluru. 
    "It's like so-called "secret women's business", she told me, "Don't let anyone go telling you that the place is something sacred. It isn't."
Now it seems that Uluru is sacred. The local clans have now decided it is sacred. That means it can't be touched.
It isn't sacred. If anything is sacred it is the tourist dollar and that may well drop in value if people can no longer climb the rock. So far there is a belief that  stopping climbing won't affect tourism. I doubt that and so do many others. 
Climbing Uluru is one of the reasons many people have gone to visit.  That is about to stop. Every year there are accidents or heart attacks on the stiff climb up. (It takes about four hours for an averagely fit person to do the climb.) There are claims too that people deposit rubbish on the way up and down. Yes, they probably do.  
I have no desire to climb Uluru. I don't even want to visit it. I had enough of the red desert in my childhood. My siblings feel the same way. But if other people want to do it?
I have never understood the desire to climb mountains. "Because it's there" doesn't seem like reason enough to me. I suppose there is a sense of achievement about climbing something. The view from the top might be good. At the right vantage point on a good day you could see a long way. It might give you a sense of the vastness of the country.
Telling people they can no longer climb Uluru however is simply going to make it more desirable to try - illegally. There will still be some who want to do it - and will do it.
If it is no longer legal to do it then they must be prosecuted - but please don't prosecute them because it is "sacred". It isn't.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Attitudes change over time. If one says that "it isn't safe" or it isn't good for the environment - you can tie that up in a court system. But if a native people say "this is sacred" there is little that will be done to fight it.

Yes, there is tourist dollar. But who actually gets that dollar? It may well be like the Sydney Bridge Climb - when all is said and done - it is not the city making money, nor the locals...

But it is the tax payer who provides the search, rescue and medical support.

Me? Climbing would be lovely to take photos from the top. But an unobstructed change to take sunrise and sunset photos of Uluru would be sufficient.