Thursday 18 July 2019

There are some occupations

where people don't seem to stop working - even after they have officially "retired".
The Senior Cat has gone on teaching.  I have known doctors who have worked into their 80's.  I  know an architect who still does "little" jobs - like a garden shed. Gardeners never seem to retire either.  
And there are priests. I was talking to one yesterday.
   "I've  just been up to the cemetery,"he told me as he shook some rain off, "to check on D.....'s grave. His parents will be here for afternoon tea."
I remember D...'s funeral. He was four. He died very suddenly when his father was the young curate at the church my parents attended.  I was asked to go up to the church and start getting ready for the afternoon tea which followed the service - so that all the parishioners could attend the service.
The church was standing room only. The young curate had been a submariner before moving into the priesthood.  His navy colleagues had all come as well. I was busy in the kitchen when one of the funeral director's staff came in looking for water to take aspirin for a severe headache - and it was more than that because he broke down in tears over the funeral of a young child.
That was more than twenty years ago. The young curate is now about to be installed as a bishop - and he will do well at that role.  But, yesterday, he was coming back to the man who had mentored him all those years ago. 
A..., now in his late eighties, didn't need to tell me why. He would not have said anything but I know that D...'s father will have gone to him for more than a simple cup of tea. A.... is a wise old man. He has always respected my beliefs - as I respect his. He knows he can still tell me things I need to know about his former parishioners - and that they will go no further. Yesterday's news was just given as news, good news.
But I thought it was typical of A... that he should have gone to check on little D...'s grave before D...'s parents went there. They have been living hundreds of kilometres away so it would be a rare visit.
And yes, he had "tidied it up" before they got there.

No comments: