Tuesday 29 June 2021

Covid19 restrictions

have been increased again because the "Delta" variant has appeared. The health authorities are trying the best they can to prevent the spread of this "highly contagious" variant.  They don't make changes lightly but we are back to face masks and other restrictions - at least for a while. It is something we expected but there have been many who feel very upset by it.

I am not too bothered about the face masks except for the fact that the Senior Cat, like many other elderly people, relies partly on being able to unconsciously lip read what is being said to him. We were told today that we again have to wear a mask while visiting him. He is going to be even more frustrated than usual.

But that is a minor concern for us both. There still has not been any attempt by the government or the health personnel responsible to solve another problem. 

We are supposed to "sign in" everywhere using a mobile phone which has an "app" which will read a "QR" code. If we can't do that we are supposed to "manually sign in". If you don't and you get caught then there are hefty fines. It is all designed to make contact tracing quicker and easier and prevent the spread of the Covid19 virus.  As I have said elsewhere I don't have a problem with the need to contact trace if it is going to help stop the spread of the virus. I am only partially vaccinated and I don't have an appointment for the second jab until August. I don't want people spreading the virus.

I have tried to explain to more than one person that this signing in business is simply not possible for everyone. I had to explain yesterday when a staff member at a local shop objected to helping someone I know can neither read nor write. The "well they should be able to" answer was enough for me to report them to their supervisor. The complaint, and I put it as nicely as I could, was met with a sigh, "The staff really don't have time for that sort of thing. People like that should get someone else to do their shopping." No. They should not need to do that. We need a system which works for everyone. I have suggested something which would work but, so far, nobody has shown any interest in doing it.

I am also deeply concerned it might now spread to the remote "indigenous" communities. Once there the likely outcome does not bear thinking about. I don't want that to happen but there is a real possibility it could if we are not prepared to accept restrictions on the rest of the community. There are far too many people in those communities with other health problems because of a range of issues that nobody seems able to fix. 

I know what the Chief Medical Officer and her staff are trying to do. It's like trying to keep endless spot fires coming together and causing major damage. I don't envy them. They look exhausted. The UK and Europe know what it can be like when people live in such close proximity to each other. We don't have that here. What we have is a different sort of problem. People often need to travel long distances. They pass through all sorts of communities on the way, vulnerable communities. One infected person can spread the virus a long way.

Accept the restrictions. Wear a face mask. We might be lucky. It might be just for a short time  - if we all do the right thing.


2 comments:

Beryl Kingston said...

Spot on Cat.

Jodiebodie said...

I do believe there is such a thing as a transparent face mask. It is like a regular face mask but with plastic window so that one's mouth can be seen by lipreaders etc. I think some dentists may have them - I have a deaf acquaintance who lipreads and who had often complained about the dentist who would want to chat during the procedure only to learn that she can't be understood or heard because of the mask. Once upon a time I was shown a photo of this type of mask with a window in it so they do exist ... somewhere. I can't remember whether this was a mask that my acquaintance managed to find in Australia or whether it was a photo demonstrating the idea.