Monday 14 June 2021

The (alternative) Queen's Honours List

is about to be presented to you. It will be short but I hope it will be of some interest.

I decided it was necessary to acknowledge a number of people I know who have performed services to me and to others I know. It is unfortunate but these people are not likely to actually appear in the official lists at any time.

They come in a random order because they are all equally important in their way. 

(1) The current postal delivery worker for waving to let me know that she had important mail for me. (It saved me a trip to sign for it at the post office.)

(2) S.... who does the heavy gardening for this property. He will cheerfully do any other small task I ask of him as well.

(3) P... who does the same inside and keeps my untidiness under control.

(4) M... who has worked steadily and tirelessly for the sick and injured in the local community for the past 42 years.

(5) H... who visits the Senior Cat each week and keeps him up to date with news of friends. It helps the Senior Cat feel part of his community.

(6) L... my godfather who 'phones the Senior Cat at least once a week. If I could drive I would buy a car just so you could see each other.

(7) J... who phones me every couple of weeks "just to check". Those calls have been so important of late.

(8) I... for all the handknitted socks the Senior Cat wears with pride. Warm feet are a wonderful comfort.

(9) P... who holds down more than one role in the knitting group. You have collected and delivered to me on more than one occasion without complaint.

(10) A group award to the neighbours who watch out for me. I hope I never need to use one of you in an emergency but I know you will help.

(11) The library staff, especially for hunting down obscure books for me without complaint.

(12) Regular readers of my witterings here - especially for the occasional comments.

There are more. They may need to wait until the New Year's list but you know who you are.

Who would you honour in an alternative list?

1 comment:

Hilde said...

I think all of us could write such an alternative list. Much too often persons are honored for just having done what they had been (usually very well) paid for.
Hilde in Germany