Wednesday 22 September 2021

Covid inconsistencies

are beginning to concern everyone I think. I was trying to organise a meeting yesterday. It was a little more complicated than "just book the room" which is what has happened in the past.

We could not have it in either of the rooms we normally have it in because there is a limit on the number of people allowed in each space. The simple solution seemed to be a bigger space but there is no such space available in that building. 

Could we go somewhere else? Would that mean paying for a room? Was there even one available somewhere? There are certain requirements which would have to be met as well. 

I know the local district and the facilities pretty well. I know what would work and what would not. My "partner-in-crime" made a couple of phone calls to her contacts. No, not available at that time. No, the place is not accessible for wheelchairs. Sorry, the person who deals with those things is away right now. 

I thought of school halls - although far too large for our needs and there would be a fee which this group really cannot afford.

I went through the list provided by local government. No...no... and no... sigh. 

Just after I had put the phone down for the umpteenth time it rang.

"Cat, you're looking for a place for the group to meet?"

"Yes, if you can think of anything...."

"I have the perfect space if they don't mind meeting in a church hall."

"A church hall will be just fine, anything!"

So, an incredibly varied group will meet in a church hall. I had to explain this to the two Muslims but they had no objections at all.

"It is so kind," one of them told me when I told her where we would be meeting. 

The other knew the building. "I go there. They have good used clothes for children."

And the person who offered the space told me,

"If you need it again and we aren't using it..."

But there are inconsistencies in all of this. The church meets in there for coffee after their Sunday service. "Social distancing" would not be possible and masks would be removed to drink their coffee. When our meeting starts we have to have everyone agree to remove their masks so that those with a hearing loss can understand what others are saying. The congregation is not allowed to sing hymns at present but they can go outside and watch the young ones playing games - young ones who are without masks and are shouting and chasing one another. 

Inconsistencies are adding to the stress. I am grateful to P... for being aware we needed space to meet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the wide, weird world of Covid ;-)
John Karlsson