Thursday 23 September 2021

There was an earthquake

yesterday. The epicentre was several hundred kilometres away in a neighbouring state but I was aware of it. I thought I was feeling a little light-headed for the duration but then realised that it was something else.

We do get quite frequent earthquakes here. They are rarely big but this one was 5.9 on the Richter scale and big enough to be noticed right across the south-eastern part of the country and into the more central southern area. There was apparently some structural damage - one building seems to have lost a good portion of the facade - but it was nothing  like the damage that can occur in some places. Still, it is not pleasant and it is a little alarming to be in the midst of such things.

This city is actually built on a fault line. If we had a major earthquake here there would be more damage. Very locally the soil is considered unstable. New houses have to be built with deeper footings. This house was built to "rest" on the foundations so as to "earthquake proof" it as far as possible. I am not sure how much that would help but then I know nothing about structural engineering. 

What I do know is that I can remember the quite serious earthquake which occurred when I was four. I remember lying in bed and watching my little blue painted wardrobe swaying to and fro until the Senior Cat rushed in and carried me out into the street. My brother was already there in the arms of a neighbour. My mother was holding a neighbour's baby - presumably because that person was caring for her other children. 

We stayed in the street for some time. I remember the local policeman coming slowly down the road and looking at each property in the tiny "town" we lived in - a place the size of a very small English village.  The policeman was riding his bike and carried a torch. Whether there was much damage in the town I don't know. 

Some time later we went to visit my godmother and her mother in the city. They had not been so lucky. I remember seeing the large crack in the wall of their living area. I could put my hand right into it and out the other side. My mother's brother took hold of my hand inside from outside. He had come with us to inspect the damage and decide whether it was safe for them to stay in the house. They did. It was repaired but there is probably still that slight "bump" in the wall where it was repaired.

I remember those things when there is news of yet another serious earthquake anywhere in the world. I don't find them "exciting". My reaction to yesterday's quake was more of a "how fortunate nobody was hurt". 

Perhaps we were "lucky".

  

No comments: