Monday 5 December 2022

My Health Record

that $2bn government database which was supposed to reduce record keeping, save lives and money and much more is apparently not working as it should. 

Surprised? No, I am not surprised either. It is one of those things which depends on humans to actually do something - in other words upload records, accurate records.

I don't think my GP was very pleased when I told her I had opted out of the system in the "opt out" period. She told me it was not sensible, that if I had an accident or a medical emergency my records would be instantly available. As she had, for the second time, looked up the wrong person on the clinic's records I just looked at her. The other person is a different blood type.

I can even go so far as to guess what at least some of the other person's medical history is like. It is only alertness on my part and me saying, "Are you looking at the right page?" which alerted her to a problem. Another doctor in the clinic made the same mistake.He made the mistake of informing me that my "cholesterol level (was) unacceptably high". Yes, the reading was very high, but it was not mine. This is not acceptable under any circumstances. In an emergency, when I am not alert enough to inform them, I don't want to be mistaken for the other person. I want them to check my blood group - and my blood pressure.

The same thing occurred yesterday.  One of the local hospitals rang and I was told that M... had been taken to hospital. Could I get some  things together including her medication? As I don't drive they were sending a volunteer to get it. I thought it was a bit odd. Yes, she is on some simple medication. I know because I have been to the chemist on her behalf more than once. I did as asked and they phoned again, "We need the...." and they named a drug I know she does not take. I know what it is for and it is for a condition she most definitely does not have. It is rare and the medication for it is expensive and not readily available.

I said this and asked, "Are you looking at the records for Miss M.... at....?"

No, they weren't. They were looking at the records of a Mrs M... at a different address. "Sorry for the mix up," I was told.

Sorry? A mix up like that could have catastrophic consequences. The one good thing was that I didn't have to make a trip to the hospital in the heat - but it still bothers me.

 

No comments: