Sunday 26 February 2023

Ice cream for breakfast?

There were several very hot days last week and I ate the ice cream left over from having some young guests earlier in the week. I like ice cream and it was good.

But, what if I ate it for breakfast? Would it taste the same? The thought came to me as I washed out the container ready to put it in the recycle bin.

Breakfast and ice cream? I really cannot see myself doing that. I don't know why. It just seems wrong.

As I thought about this I thought about my BIL. Middle Cat has informed me more than once that her beloved spouse eats things like cold left over pizza for breakfast. Pizza? Pizza for breakfast? Cold pizza for breakfast? I think not. The idea of cold pizza is bad enough. I am not fond of the sort of pizza he likes at the best of times. 

He has also been known to eat "left over Chinese" (cooked by Middle Cat) or to grab the remainder of the cornbread (made by Yours Truly) on the way out the door if he is running late. 

There are days when he goes without breakfast - or so he tells us. No doubt the little cafe near his workplace gets a call as he reaches the point where he can still pick up a bun. He doesn't buy their coffee. They have a "proper coffee" machine in the office.

Middle Cat and I have things like toast and/or cereal for breakfast. We might add a piece of fruit. It depends on what is around.

But ice cream? No. It seems wrong. I thought back to medieval breakfasts.  Most people only ate two meals a day back then - and the first one was often just rye bread and ale. There might be a slice of cheese thrown in if your were lucky. It was apparently not until the Victorian era that people began to eat a heavy meal early in the day.  I think I prefer the idea of cereal or toast. I have been known to eat an egg if I know lunch is not likely to happen but that might happen twice in the year.

But ice cream? No. I want ice cream in one of those silly little cones. I want it so I can lick it daintily in the way a properly brought up cat should. I want to do it in a way in which I can appreciate each lick. You cannot do that at breakfast time. There is the rest of the day there telling you,"Come on, get a move on. There are things to be done."

No, ice cream is for later in the day. It is best eaten sitting with a friend or with a book. 

And yes it was plain vanilla this time. 

No comments: