Thursday 16 February 2023

The First Minister of Scotland

has resigned? No, I am not surprised. It was almost inevitable. The going was getting tough. 

And there was also that not so small issue of "gender" which was surely part of her "decision to resign". I don't doubt that she was told, "It's time to go but we will allow you to resign rather than push you." I also have no doubt that the "gender" issue was part of the reason for the pressure to resign.

In the past week I have come across two people who have left roles because of the "gender" issue. One resigned and the other was told they were no longer welcome.

The resignation came as a shock to many people. The person in question had discussed it with me and with someone else. This person has, over the years, been the treasurer, the secretary, the vice-president, the president and more. He has put thousands and thousands of hours into an organisation I have also supported. There were changes a couple of years back. We all accepted that this was necessary, indeed were glad some younger voices were taking over. Twelve months ago one new person was voted on to the committee. I was concerned at the time because this person was so outspoken and so ready to "tell the rest of you what to do".  When we referred to this person as "she" or "her" we were told that this was not correct. This person was "gender neutral" and we "had to respect that".  We tried even though it was alien to everyone else and the membership at large. It simply is not that sort of organisation. There are much more important issues to be concerned about. Nevertheless a vote was taken and the membership agreed to accommodate this one person.

And now there have been four more resignations from the committee over working with this person. I have just sent an email declining to be nominated for the committee. I have been there, done that, taken my turn...and I could not work with the "gender neutral" person. It may even be the end of the organisation which has done a great deal of good. One person demanding their "rights" has done this. Are they "rights" or are they something else? 

In the other case the woman in question has simply refused to bow to demands she should begin each meeting in a way she finds offensive. Given her background it is perhaps even highly offensive. She offered to resign but this was apparently not acceptable. Instead she has been told she is no longer welcome even in the group in question. It has left her feeling bewildered and very hurt. 

"I wasn't asking them not to do it if that's what they want. I was just saying I couldn't do it," she told me over a cup of tea yesterday. I helped her draft a letter but we both know it almost certainly will not be read out to the membership.

But it seems this is where "political correctness" is now leading us. It is leading us from the main road, along secondary roads and down unsealed roads to dirt tracks filled with potholes. I am not sure the journey is comfortable or the end goal desirable. 

No comments: