Friday 20 November 2009

I am back to trying to catch fish today.

At least I think writing is a little like fishing, real fishing. It requires quiet contemplation and watchfulness. There is no sense in just sitting there staring at the line and thinking you are going to catch a fish. You have to know where to fish or where to look for the words. You have to use the right line, the right hook and the right bait. You need to be alert all the time, to watch the line for twitches and words. Sometimes you need to be ready to pounce with a paw. Getting wet is an uncomfortable process for a cat but it cannot be avoided. Writing is an uncomfortable process.
No, I am not going to give up but I do wonder why I devoted eight lives almost solely to catching mice. Ridding the world of mice is a good thing you say? Purrhaps, but it is a housework sort of job. Nobody notices unless you do not do it.
I do have new ideas for bait and lines but I understand I will still need to get my paws wet. I might even need to dive right in. That's all right. Cats can swim even if we do not like getting wet. Getting wet is better than having fur balls.

4 comments:

Holly said...

if you need any help, I am happy to bait the hook!

catdownunder said...

Oh purr, thankyou. I am not good at baiting hooks!

Rachel Fenton said...

'Gone fishing'!

catdownunder said...

As long as we catch something...