Saturday 6 July 2019

No more straws?

"Fantastic, no plastic" the headline shouts. Apparently this state is going to "lead the way" in getting rid of all things plastic - including straws and foam cups and takeaway containers. The next to go will be plastic cutlery and plastic lined drink containers.
Ooh it sounds good.
I am more than happy to see a massive decline in the use of plastic. Bamboo? Yes, it is probably a good alternative in many instances.
More expensive? Perhaps - but anything that will end up saving plastic waste from the ocean, from waterways, from landfill and more is likely to be expensive. We need to pay for it.
I don't know enough about the environmental goodness of things like bamboo to comment. It just seems like a good idea.
But there is something that bothers me. I was talking to someone who runs a small "coffee" place recently. He said that the ban on plastic would save him having to buy any straws.
Really? I wonder how many other food outlet people believe the same thing?
I think straws might still be needed. My paws do not cope with some drinking containers. I know other people who cannot drink at all unless they have a straw - and yes, they might carry straws with them but that doesn't allow for emergencies. And bamboo straws are not the same - can even be dangerous.
And then the article in the paper came up with something else.
Could we get rid of some of those ghastly cheap plastic toys which break so easily?
How about some good, solid wooden toys. It might make a huge difference.

No comments: