Wednesday 17 July 2019

"Can you read it to me?"

was the request.
No, it wasn't from a small child this time. It wasn't from an adult lacking in literacy skills either.
This time it was from someone I know with almost no eyesight. She still lives alone although she does get help with cleaning, gardening and shopping. She cooks her own meals and does many other things. She leads a fairly social life - much more social than mine.
I called in yesterday on my way back from another appointment. The receptionist in that place knows I know her and knows I will pass her little place on my way home. Could I take a referral letter to her? It would be faster than posting it.
So, I call in to see H... on the way home. It's a letter? She won't be able to read it. Could I read it to her? Yes, I was expecting to do that.  
When I have done that she hesitates and then asks,
   "Have you got another moment? Could you see if you could find another letter? I asked T.... to put it in the box..."
T... is the person who comes into help with the cleaning. 
H...'s home is not cluttered but I can't see the letter anywhere. Perhaps it is in the file box I suggest? In the wrong place? What should it be filed under?
H.... tells me, "But you won't be able to read...."
    "I can read Braille well enough to read the labels," I told her, "I'll find it."
I found it - filed before and not after the label. I refiled it. H... gave me a quick hug,
    "Thanks Cat. I had no idea you could read Braille."
    "I can't really. I have long since forgotten the contractions but I can usually work simple things out."
She laughed and said it was still a very useful thing to know. 
It is actually a very long time since I used it - but you never know when something like that might be useful.
 

1 comment:

clar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.