Saturday 2 May 2020

"Download the app!"

I am not sure I can download any "app" but I will  download this one if I can find out how to do it.
Which one? The Covid19 app of course. It is designed to tell you if you have been in extended contact with someone who tests positive to the virus.
There have been squeals of indignation of course, "Why should the government be allowed to know where we have been and with whom we have associated?"
Well it isn't quite like that of course. Even if it was it would not bother me for the powers-that-be to know I had been to the chemist or stopped to check on an elderly individual tottering home from checking on her brother who lives around the corner. I have nothing to hide from the government. I don't particularly like the idea that they spy on me but they have been doing that for so long I am used to it. I expect it. 
What surprises me is that other people appear to be worried by this. The people who appear to be the most concerned also seem to be the people who have the fancy phones which behave like small computers. They have often downloaded one "app" after another. I know one person who has downloaded many apps - starting with astrology and ending with the weather anywhere in the world. She doesn't want to download the Covid19 tracing app because she doesn't "want the b....government to know where I am all the b....time." 
I pointed out that her phone, connected the way it is, allows her to be tracked by Mr Google and many others. It didn't go down too well. Perhaps I should just have kept my mouth shut. I know there are many people like her.
But, like it or not, our safety and our ability to resume something like our previous lifestyle will depend on many more people downloading this thing. It will allow us to be alerted if we have been in contact with someone who has the virus. It will drastically reduce the capacity for it to spread across the community.
One of the reasons I have tried to be so careful since the first case here is that I do not want to be responsible for the otherwise avoidable death of someone else. I don't want to be like the worker in a neighbouring state who went to work with a "sniffle" and ended up infecting many in a nursing home. That has caused the death of twelve people to date. The worker was "asymptomatic" and is not being held responsible but must be feeling that way.
Yes, I will go on taking extra precautions because I am a fairly cautious cat at the best of times. It's the responsible thing to do. I will investigate this "app" business today too.
Right now though I have no "apps" on my phone, nor do I have access to the internet. It is just there so I can care for the Senior Cat and be a responsible citizen. Mr Google would in any case find me very boring.

No comments: