Monday 11 May 2020

Films I have not seen

was a topic I had to think about yesterday. Okay it was a Twitter post by someone I know that brought the thought on.
I am not someone who goes to see films very often. The last film I saw was "The King's Speech" - yes, rather a long time ago. There have been films since then that I have considered "might be interesting" but I have simply not managed to get around to seeing them. They are the sort of film I think  I might find on a DVD one day and watch - when I have time. 
It took me years to see a film my brother enthused about at the time of its release. By the time I saw it "2001 - A space odyssey" seemed old and dull. The special effects were no longer special.
Yesterday I started to make a list of film series I had not seen.  
There are the Star Wars films. I have never seen any. I have only a vague idea of what they are about.  Science fiction really isn't of any great interest to me. I don't read it either. The closest I have come to that is Edmund Cooper's "The Overman Culture" and Madeleine L'Engle's "A wrinkle in time" series.
The Lord of the Rings series is something I have not watched either.  (I have not seen "The Hobbit" either.) I have read the books and I am well aware that the scenery and so on  is supposed to be magnificent. Perhaps I will go to New Zealand one day and see the scenery for myself? It seems unlikely right now.
I haven't seen the Hunger Games films although I read the first book. I did not like the book.
Oh yes, those Twilight films...I couldn't even get past the first few pages of the first book. What other people see in the books is beyond me  - but tastes differ.
Batman and Mad Max are more film series I have not seen and do not want to see. 
"So, what have you seen?" someone asked me via Twitter.
I have seen three James Bond movies. It was rather a long time ago now and I thought they were slightly ridiculous but, at the same time, good escapism.  
And I saw the first Harry Potter movie.  I saw that in a theatre packed to the hilt with children. The Senior Cat came too. It was good fun. It was made even better fun because the children were absolutely enthralled by it. I  haven't seen the other films in the series. 
Perhaps I will one day see more James Bond or Harry Potter ...if I ever reach ancient cat-hood and can no longer do anything other than lie there with my knitting between my paws. 
I really do not want to see any of the others.

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I take issue with you about Star Wars being sci-fi. It is just Cowboys in space, with fancy machines. OH insists he has never seen one, but he must have since I have seen one on TV - years ago. He must have been doing his usual - watching it through his eyelids, while gently snoring!
I could write an essay about films I have seen and wish I had not wasted that time, and others that nobody seems to have heard of, which really moved me.

catdownunder said...

Cowboys in space? Thank you for the warning. I never cared for films about cowboys! I know what you mean about films nobody else seems to have heard of... I think one of the finest pieces of acting I have ever seen in a film was of Richard Burton in "The Bramble Bush" in a scene where he is describing a killing. The film itself was awful but the scene has remained with me because it was so well acted.