Monday 18 May 2020

Mobile phones are killers

and I am not talking about mysterious radiation from phone towers or anything like that. 
I am talking about phones which apparently must be  answered or  used while driving a car, riding a bike and walking along the street.
It is there in this morning's paper - along with the news that, despite the lock down, our road toll is now the same as it was this time last year. 
What in the heck is going on? Why is it so important to talk to people right at that moment?
Several weeks ago I saw a near tragedy. A man pressing those little buttons on his phone walked out into the road without looking. A car swerved to avoid him and bumped into another. Fortunately the damage to the two cars was very slight.Nobody was hurt. The user of the mobile phone was not in the least bit concerned. He just shouted at the driver to "be more careful" and went on his way - still pressing buttons. He left both drivers undoubtedly shaken and those around him shaken too.
It was totally irresponsible behaviour. I wish the police had been around to stop him in his tracks and fine him. 
I have seen bike riders with a phone clamped to an ear while swerving around pedestrians. And how many more pedestrians am I going to have to pedal slowly behind because they are strolling along in the middle of the footpath while sending or reading a text message? Of course if I try to pass someone actually having a conversation then I am in even greater trouble.
I have seen dogs walking along and using more intelligence than some humans.
Yes, I know I have said it elsewhere but what is so important about that phone call?  Is it really a life or death emergency? Is it beyond  the ability of the technical genii who make these things to produce one which automatically shuts down when you enter that metal container on wheels or sit on the seat of anything else with wheels and start to move?
I went out for a little exercise yesterday. I needed to deliver something. There is a roundabout on the route. There was a man of about thirty on one of those electric skateboards - talking on his phone. The roundabout is one of those "black spots". There has been many an accident there. The rider of the skateboard seemed unconcerned at the sight of the bus bearing down on him. I would have waited well back on the footpath. He came far too close to the bus for my liking - and for the liking of the bus driver. The bus driver tooted him but the rider went on apparently blissfully unaware. I was waiting on the footpath and the driver shook his head as he went past me. It is the sort of behaviour that makes that job a nightmare. No wonder stress related illness is so high in that job.
All these phone calls are so urgent though. The  humans who make them must be really important people. 
The only people who have ever rung me are my immediate family. That has almost never happened. Other people call me on the house phone. I am obviously not in the least bit important.
And I still have to learn how to send a text message.

No comments: