Wednesday 13 May 2020

Making bread

is an art and a science I suppose.
It is under discussion on two blogs written by knitters right now. Both of them mention "sourdough" and,  once again, I am contemplating whether I should try it again.  
I did try it once. The result was edible but not a great success.
The Senior Cat would like some "real sourdough". He has never forgotten the breakfast he had in California one morning.
I don't know where my parents were staying exactly but breakfast was not included. They went searching for breakfast and, being obviously "lost" tourists, someone asked them if they needed some help. The Senior Cat asked if their inquirer could point them in  the direction of breakfast which was not "that" fast food chain.
Their inquirer did better than that. He took them to a small cafe nearby, introduced them to the owner and also introduced them to the sourdough bread for which the cafe was well known. Then, in the way of such things, this man disappeared from their lives again. The Senior Cat has always wanted to repay the kindness but has tried to pay it forward instead.
But, sourdough? You need a good starter for sourdough. It does not work with dried yeast. A company here tried that. I tried the yeast and it was hopeless. The local company which claims to make sourdough bread has not got it right either. The taste is barely there - and the bread is far too expensive for more than a once in a very long while treat. 
I make other bread of course. As there are just two of us we don't eat a lot of bread and that is one problem with the idea of sourdough. How often would I use the "mother plant"?  Reading the other blogs though I am tempted to try again.
There is something about home baked bread though. You know what you have put into it and you can add things to the recipe. When Middle Cat and I went to the warehouse I bought pepitas and sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. There was rye flour, oat flour and barley flour too - to be mixed with strong wheat flour. 
Bread is not "boring" it is fascinating. I like to observe it change from a sticky mess to something smooth as it gets kneaded. I like to watch it rise. I like to add ingredients to make a different flavour and texture. 
And, best of all, is the wonderful aroma that fills the house as it is baking.
I wonder how all those people who bought bread flour and bread mix at the beginning of the lockdown are getting on? Have they discovered the real pleasure of making bread for themselves?

2 comments:

gemma said...

Hi Cat, my home in Kandos is one of two things, too cold in winter to grow the starter, or too hot, so I have been using Greek yoghurt as a wet agent in my bread. It’s delicious and sour. There are plenty of recipes of the net. Have fun.
Gemma

catdownunder said...

now that's an idea!