Tuesday 12 May 2020

I know some people enjoy their alcohol

but I am growing thoroughly alarmed at how it seems to be a central concern for so many.
There are suggestions in this morning's paper that some organisations will not survive without alcohol. I  find that extraordinary. Apparently buying a pie and a pint at the footy match is almost mandatory. It is how the club survives - or so they would have us believe.
Now it may be true. I have never been to a football match. I never want to go to one. It is of no interest to me whatsoever. I am not interested in sports at all - beyond a very mild interest in the psychological machinations behind the game of cricket. It would be good to think that clubs were not dependent on alcohol and poker machines. Perhaps if football was treated as a game rather than a business where the players command such high salaries it would be different?
Restaurants here have also been told that, subject to certain rules of "social distancing" they can reopen for no more than ten people - and no alcohol can be served. Apparently that is not good enough. You are not there to enjoy the food. It is the alcohol that matters. 
I see this right around me. I hear it right around me.
It is the word "alcohol" which seems to be so important. There are thousands of people whose very jobs depend on the consumption of alcohol. It worries me that there seems to be no alternative employment available for many of them.
Yes, I can see some of you jumping up and down and waiting to get your word in. Before you do let me say I do understand that some of you enjoy having a drink. For you, it's a pleasure. You don't overdo it. It's a way of relaxing at the end of the day - and also with family and friends.  If that is the way you feel then that's up to you. I might have joined you if alcohol didn't make me feel as if I was itching all over - a bit like being stung with nettles.
That is not what bothers me. It's the idea that you can't have a good time without alcohol and that alcohol is somehow essential to the survival of so much. I am all too aware of the way alcohol leads to many social, health and other problems.
It says something about our culture and the society in which we live - and I am not sure I like it.

No comments: